Electrical short

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
mccainepl
Motorcycle: 1984 1200A Aspencade

Electrical short

Post by mccainepl »

I have an 1984 Aspencade 1200. Installed a new battery and the next day it was dead. Charged and reinstalled, started it and when I turned the handle bars to the right it shut off. I'm assuming there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness, but not being familiar with electrical systems I am not sure how to locate/fix the short. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: Electrical short

Post by sportsfreaked »

Well welcome to one heck of an headache. Electrical shorts are sometimes a pain in the rear to find. It's hard to tell exactly where your problem may be. One thing you can do is first check all your fuses to make sure they are good. If one is blown then you know to look at that circuit in particular for your problem. There are schematics here on the site for you to look at. If you have a bad fuse re post and folks can help you out. The only other thing you can do is look carefully at the wiring for any "burn" marks or worn thru areas.

When you put the battery in don't start it just check to see of lights, horn, turn signals, brake lights work etc. If all those work and the only problem is starting then you know that the starter circuit is your problem. It's a process of elimination.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Post by HALBUDD »

The 84s had a recall on the ignition switch, my 84 did the same thing. I could be ridding slow and make a sharp turn and the motor would shut off. Try this start your bike and try turning your handle bars all the way left and right if it kills the bike it is the ignition switch.Look up under the front end and you can see the bottom of the switch if there are just two screws holding the plastic cap on the switch it is the old style and will need to be replaced. Some other members have had the same problem and most Honda dealers will say they dont have the updated switch so you may have to go on line and find a good used one. The fixed ones now have three screws holding the plastic cap on. You might get lucky and be able to pull the old one and clean it I had another 84 parts bike and used the switch out of it. I put molly lube in it before putting it back together. It worked ok after that and was still working when I sold it.---------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

mccainepl
Motorcycle: 1984 1200A Aspencade

Post by mccainepl »

Thank you gentleman! You've given me some good places to start!