Won't Start

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Demiphobic
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Won't Start

Post by Demiphobic »

Been working on my grandfather's 1985 GL1200 Aspencade but we've ran into an issue. Whenever we try to start it, it turns over and the headlight dims/turns off but won't actually start. We've tried spraying starter fluid in various places because we're not too sure where to even spray it and tried new gas but still no luck. I've read about people talking about different fuses and wires to check but I can't seem to find what they're actually referring to. We'd appreciate any help you guys/gals can throw our way! If you need anymore information, just ask.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Won't Start

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Make sure you have a fully charged battery. Take maybe two plugs out on one side - squirt in the starter fluid, then plugs back in and connected up - try it now - let us know what happens.
You only need to spray for not more than a second into each cylinder.

When you try to start it should fire - but maybe not continue to run because of clogged jets/ dirty carbs bad fuel etc... at least you know if you have spark - then you need to confirm fuel delivery and compression.

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

Aussie81Interstate wrote:Make sure you have a fully charged battery. Take maybe two plugs out on one side - squirt in the starter fluid, then plugs back in and connected up - try it now - let us know what happens.
You only need to spray for not more than a second into each cylinder.

When you try to start it should fire - but maybe not continue to run because of clogged jets/ dirty carbs bad fuel etc... at least you know if you have spark - then you need to confirm fuel delivery and compression.
This is probably a noob question but how do I access the cylinders to be able to spray inside of them? I'm not really too informed when it comes to this stuff

Edit - Just realized you told me, Sorry.

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

I did what you said and it fired but stopped. Since it's firing it makes me think that there must be a filter or something clogged? I'll have a look at it tomorrow to see if I can find any filters that're dirty.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady »

A dirty fuel filter.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

trike lady wrote:A dirty fuel filter.
I'm assuming the fuel filter is that little cylinder that connects to the tube that comes out of the petcock, am I correct on that?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

You will need to work from the fuel tank to the carbs - and I think you will need to possibly remove the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning.
1. check fuel is flowing from the tank
2. check fuel is flowing past the fuel filter
3. drain each carb bowl to measure the amount of fuel sitting at rest.
4. clean your carbs.
5. clean your carbs

"When you try to start it should fire - but maybe not continue to run because of clogged jets/ dirty carbs bad fuel etc... at least you know if you have spark - then you need to confirm fuel delivery and compression."

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

You sound like you are brand new to working on machines. Aussie is correct that it most likely is your carbs and or bad fuel filter. The carb rebuilding process is very detailed and there are sections that are available to you on the site here. If you send me a pm with your email address I can email you a copy of a service manual that will help you a lot. It will have all the info you need and then if you run into problems and or have questions feel free to ask. Just because your new doesn't mean you can't do it there will just be a learning curve.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

Just to be clear before you go tearing into the carbs:

Was this bike recently running and all of a sudden developed this problem or has it been sitting in a shed for 15 years?

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

You're pretty close, about 15 years sitting in our garage

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate (Sold)

Post by trike lady »

Demiphobic wrote:
trike lady wrote:A dirty fuel filter.
I'm assuming the fuel filter is that little cylinder that connects to the tube that comes out of the petcock, am I correct on that?
Yes.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

Demiphobic wrote:You're pretty close, about 15 years sitting in our garage
You're on the right track then. Assuming that it had fuel in the tank you'll be well served to remove and clean the tank and remove any rust that has developed. The easiest way to get the carbs sorted would be to remove them for a thorough cleaning and replace any perished parts.

If the goal is to make this bike roadworthy again you have some work to do. I would suggest removing the seat, dummy tank, lower fairing panels, side covers, and both saddlebags. Stash them away somewhere safe and then get started on the fuel system. Once you get it running you can proceed to servicing the brakes, forks, final drive, tires, and whatever else needs attention. Set goals and take a methodical approach and you'll be pleased with the results.

On the other hand, if your plan is just to get it running to sell it, you might come out ahead just selling it like it is.

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

We've already stripped the bike and started cleaning the tank since I removed it. I removed the carbs yesterday and the manual I have says to only use petroleum based solvents, have any recommendations? Thanks for helping.

Also in response to @sportsfreaked I'm only 15 so yes, I'm extremely new to this.

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

I was following the manual on how to separate the carbs from the assembly and I went to remove the screws holding on the mesh filter (as the manual states) and they won't budge at all. I tried penetrating oil but it doesn't seem to have changed anything, any ideas?

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rzaugg »

Penetrating oil won't usually help, what you are fighting is what happens when you run a steel fastener into aluminum and squeeze a piece of aluminum between them. My tool of choice is what I call a "Manual Impact Driver". It's a tool that you can put various bits or sockets on, in this case a Phillips, put it on the screw, give it a slight twist to the left, the way you would loosen the screw, then give it a good smack with a hammer. Harbor Freight, Grainger, or most automotive parts stores will carry them. I use mine a ton when working on these bikes, especially with the Phillips head screws. If they are available to rent, I wouldn't do that, you'll be going back to rent it every time you work on the bike. Just buy one. It's worth it.

RZ

Demiphobic

Post by Demiphobic »

Actually picked one up yesterday, thing worked like a charm. Will definitely come in handy later on