doing a conversion

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
popogrunge
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200ai

doing a conversion

Post by popogrunge »

I have a 1984 gl1200ai and doing a large conversion. I have removed all the saddlebags, fairing, and lighting. I am looking to replace all the lighting (i.e. turn signals, tail lights, headlights and even the instrument panel) with LEDs and am wondering if anyone has done this before. I am troubled as when I try to find parts and it is asking for what bike when I put in the info it seems to select items meant for the fairing. So I was looking for any info that someone can give me on what to look out for (I have replaced the flasher unit with a digital) and any heads up I can get like do I need a Digital Cable Drive Sending Unit for the speedometer/tach. I do want to say I have gotten some awesome help on this site with my other questions. Thanks in advance

poorboy
Motorcycle: 1984 Standerd

Re: doing a conversion

Post by poorboy »

What is a 1200ai ? In 84 they made a 1200 Standard, 1200 Interstate & 1200 Aspencade. Have not heard of a 1200ai.
You could use the tach & speedo cluster off a 1200 Standard. You could also use the false tank off a Standard.

Ride Safe, Don

2wheelscram
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda PC 800

Post by 2wheelscram »

It's my understanding that the AI suffix refers to A = Aspencade & I = Interstate, while L = Limited Edition. Therefore, AI refers to attributes common to both Aspencade & Interstate models.

poorboy
Motorcycle: 1984 Standerd

Post by poorboy »

Your bike has to be an Interstate or an Aspencade. A lot of the parts will interchange but some will not. You asked about the speedo drive, an Aspencade has a electronic sender, the Interstate has a mechanical drive. The front rotors are different on the Aspencade from the Interstate but will interchange if you use the mounting brackets that with the rotors you use.
The 85 fuel injected bike is a LTD. The 86 fuel injected bike is a SEi.
It is a lot easier to help you if we know just what you have.

Ride Safe, Don

popogrunge
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200ai

Post by popogrunge »

Sorry I really am not too knowledgeable. I am trying to learn on the fly as I am a network administrator and not mech inclined but I want to do this conversion for me. It is a gl1200 interstate I found this on the paperwork.