Driver floorboards

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Driver floorboards

Post by walker70 »

Hi,just put a set of driver floorboards on my 86 goldwing,they came off my parts bike which is an 84,never had a bike with them before and right now waiting to put new tires on the bike,this may be a stupid question but are driver floorboards hard or easy to get used to,will post some photos of them soon,had to clean them up cause they were nasty.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: Driver floorboards

Post by aj1500 »

I found them a bit awkward at first, it takes a bit to get used to having to lift your right foot off the board and set it on the peg to use the brake
but after a bit it became second nature. when I bought my bike it had boards on it, I was still on 2 wheels at the time and found that for long trips I loved them but for daily riding and robust riding in the mountains I hated them as they would drag even when making turns
I have an issue with dragging metal parts. SO I sold them and put regular pegs back on,,,, once I installed my sidecar I had to have them again

so in answer, it takes about a week or 2 to start getting used to them at which time you will decide for yourself if you like them or not
start out keeping your heel up on the peg and your toe on the board as much as you can, this will help orient your reflex action to go from board to peg without even thinking when you need to brake, also for a while if your feet are on the boards keep your foot/ankle up against the peg
same, same for orientation

Oh yeah, one of the big things people always complain about is safety of having to spread there legs wide enough to straddle the boards when stopped, I never saw that as being a problem as I didn't straddle the boards, I simply put my legs down behind them. Now if you have to push the bike backwards while sitting on it, hmm,,,, that's a different story ;)
Good Luck

Goofaroo
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
2004 Kawasaki Concours
1978 BMW R100S
1971 Honda CB500/4
2007 Kawasaki KLR650
2002 Kawasaki KLR250
1992 Kawasaki KDX200
1987 Kawasaki KDX200
1985 Honda XR350R
1971 Honda CT90
1984 Honda NH125 Aero
2008 Yamaha Vino 125

Post by Goofaroo »

Only you can decide if you like them. Some people seem to really enjoy them. I absolutely hate them. In my opinion, there is no faster way to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle. lol

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

mine had a right side board and just the pedal on the left , , really like the right one so hunted down a set with heel toe for my 86 . honestly never installed first thing i found after putting them in place was like someone said , made it harder to reach ground comfortable , the left board seems to be rearward a bit more than the right making for very little leg room behind the floorboard , people with long legs would probably be fine . just something to think about

paneled
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 aspencade sei

Post by paneled »

my 86 sei came with driver boards but not heel to shifter
shifting was more of a chore than I liked so I found a pair of
boards with the heel toe shifter and installed them, took
about a week of riding to get used to the shifter, I wouldn't
have it any other way now, I'm not a short guy or a tall one
for that matter but have never found an issue reaching the
ground around them. I have only drug them once or twice.
86 aspy sei
54 chevy panel truck
68 chevy van
69 chevy van
64 chevy van

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Thanks for your opinions,I will try them for a while but I might find they may be more in the way than the pegs,I am 6 feet tall but don't have long legs so I may be better off with the pegs.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Hi,tried using the driver floorboards for about a week and have decided to put oem pegs back on,just feel better using the footpegs,so I want to get rid of the floorboards and will post photos in the buy/sell section on here. :D