Brake Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
G-Wiz
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Brake Rebuild

Post by G-Wiz »

I finally finished the brake rebuild and am still trying to upload photos off of my phone. I have what I consider the most important photo and would like to share it with all of you. Kudos to anyone who can name what this part is. This is why that $1 pack of caliper grease is so important/worth it.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Brake Rebuild

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

That's the brake slider pin for the top of the caliper - make sure it is cleaned up and covered in grease - the pin and the place where it goes needs to be well lubricated... this helps your caliper "float" and adjust for both brake pads when using the brakes.

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

You are absolutely correct sir. This one happened to be in the right front caliper which is linked to the rear brake. Rear caliper was suffering from a bit of the same. Both had 0 grease on bolts or sliders causing both calipers to lock into place and drag on the rotors eventually seizing both calipers. I would love to blame the previous owner for this but being the impatient idiot i am i neglected to check them last summer when flushing the brakes. I cleaned them all the best I could but this one is pretty well shot. Will be replacing them next month. I chose to post this before all else so that others can learn from my mistake.
Attachments

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

Ouch, this is a wake-up call for me. Sad to say, but I have been wondering what the sound has been from both front and back brakes when I rotate the tires when off the ground. :oops:

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

When I got my '85 LTD 16 months ago, rebuilt the front and rear calipers. This pivot pin had to be hammered out of the units. Installed new ones. The unfortunate issue here is that we are reasonably diligent with our bikes and how we maintain them; however, our vehicles generally do not get the same attention, but really should. I guess it is because we do not generally do the work on our vehicles.

Checked the recommended maintenance intervals and all that is mentioned is at 8,000 mile (12,000 Km) inspect entire brake system for leaks or damage. Being so specific it's no wonder you find issues like the brake slider pin being seized in place. I would think every 2 to 3 years take the calipers off, clean and lube all moving parts and reinstall. Coordinate this with a fluid change.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

Same problem with the one pictured. Had to use a drift and a mallet to get it out. The rear came out much easier. I think im going to put "lube the brake pins" on my winterizing list from here on out.

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

Now as promised, more pictures of said rebuild. I did not take as many pictures as I should have but here goes anyhow. First are some pictures of when I brought the beast home last summer. Trailered it to my house into the garage and stripped it down. Timing belts, Tires, flushed the brakes and the clutch, spent 2 days cleaning the tank, carb rebuild, filters and fluids and chased a short that kept blowing the taillight fuse.
Attachments

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

I noticed the seized up calipers when I took it off the center stand to move it and clean up my garage a bit. Wife and I have been using it for storage recently. By the way, if you are having trouble getting your wing on the center stand, check your brakes. I am a bit on the small side at 5'8" and a buck twenty and can do it with ease but without that front wheel moving it is impossible by myself. So on to the calipers. I did not take a whole lot of pictures but every caliper got the same treatment. Cleaned, polished and painted except for the rear because I ran out of paint on the rear master cylinder.
Attachments

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

Oops.
Forgot these ones.
Attachments

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

Next where the front and rear masters. I found out that my grandad laid this thing down pretty hard, though he wont admit it, and replaced the front master with one from an aspencade. Had to reorder the rebuild kit as the pistons are different.
Attachments

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

I don't have any more pics beyond this point but the last one of the rear master full of brake fluid boogers was probably the main culprit in the rear brake system. Deep cleaned, fresh paint, and a 1 1/2 hour bleed session and the brakes are amazing. Haven't done the test ride yet as the weather has still been a bit cold and wet and I've been working a bit too much. Also figured i would change my thermostat and polish timing covers while I was in there.
Attachments

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Great looking job. Hear you on the weather - have decided to ride mine, if I listen to the weather guys it'll never get on the road.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

G-Wiz

Post by G-Wiz »

An update for anyone interested. Brakes are now amazing. I never thought they would preform this good. Ive gained at least 3mpg. Unfortunately my mileage still sucks and I am running rich on cylinder #3. I found a torn diaphram in that carb and cannot find an individual replacement for under $149.