"New" 1984 Aspencade

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
FLRobert
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

"New" 1984 Aspencade

Post by FLRobert »

I pulled the trigger and got a 1984 Gl1200A Aspencade. Its brown and black cherry. It is in pretty good condition and has been resonably well maintained. It has ~54,000 miles. 40k have been put on over the last 13 years.

With in about 2 hours of having it home, I had cut out the burnt connector to the stator and soldered it with shrink tubing. I can get up to 14.5 watts at the battery after bringing up the RPM's. :) Hopefully it holds out a while.

I am going to do the timing belt because it has not been done in many years and I remember reading that is a good idea.

I was going to change the oil and rear end fluid. Isn't there something about greasing something in the rear end??? :?:

What else should I do? I did drive it home about 70 miles and it purred like kitten no problems at all.

Thanks for the guidance! I am super excited to have the new girl. :D Hope to put many miles one her!

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 130k miles
2009 Honda Silverwing 16k miles -- the wife's scooter

Re: "New" 1984 Aspencade

Post by skier »

The final drive splines should be cleaned/greased with moly60. You will need to pull the rear wheel/tire to do this. This is a link to the gl1100 procedure, very similar for the gl1200: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=77

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

FLRobert wrote:I pulled the trigger and got a 1984 Gl1200A Aspencade. Its brown and black cherry. It is in pretty good condition and has been resonably well maintained. It has ~54,000 miles. 40k have been put on over the last 13 years.

With in about 2 hours of having it home, I had cut out the burnt connector to the stator and soldered it with shrink tubing. I can get up to 14.5 watts at the battery after bringing up the RPM's. :) Hopefully it holds out a while.

I am going to do the timing belt because it has not been done in many years and I remember reading that is a good idea.

I was going to change the oil and rear end fluid. Isn't there something about greasing something in the rear end??? :?:

What else should I do? I did drive it home about 70 miles and it purred like kitten no problems at all.

Thanks for the guidance! I am super excited to have the new girl. :D Hope to put many miles one her!
You were both lucky and brave to ride 70miles with timing belts that you know are old! Hopefully you'll be having a lot of fun on the bike for years to come, but PLEASE change the belts first!
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

I put the bike up on center stand and the wheel was just barley off the ground. After 1 min or so, the back wheel was on the ground. Is this something I have to have like welded back into a more proper place. I feel I remember reading about it somewhere but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Also, thanks for the info so far.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Post by Maz »

FLRobert wrote:I put the bike up on center stand and the wheel was just barley off the ground. After 1 min or so, the back wheel was on the ground. Is this something I have to have like welded back into a more proper place. I feel I remember reading about it somewhere but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance
If the stand itself is not bent and the rear shocks are standard length, it's possible that the ends of the cross-tube, that supports the stand pivot tube, are corroded / split. If this is the case, it will take some skilled welding to repair. I actually chose to replace the entire frame on my '75 GL1000 because it had this problem . Get on the floor with a bright flashlight to check the frame tube carefully. Also, compare some pictures of other gl's on the mainstand to yours. If your stand appears to be angled forward more, the frame damage above, is more likely to be the case. Hopefully not!
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

Timing belts ( NAPA T0070) are much cheaper than from Mother Honda ...
But Gates Timing belts are very rugged ...
I changed mine after 50,000 and except for some dust, I could not tell the difference between new and old ..
but .. its an interference fit engine ... so .. if one breaks , your valves and piston tops will be in the same place at the same time ( Shudder !!)

Otherwise : all fluids ( Brake, antifreeze, oil , rear wheel splines ) and all iffy looking electrical connections

...Stator yellows .. you've done ... Also check the same wire connections near the reg/rect.

Then ...
Ride it hard, Ride it often ... and enjoy ... Many Four Cylinder Wings go 200,000 to 400,000 with no problems

SilverDave

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Maz wrote:
FLRobert wrote:I put the bike up on center stand and the wheel was just barley off the ground. After 1 min or so, the back wheel was on the ground. Is this something I have to have like welded back into a more proper place. I feel I remember reading about it somewhere but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance
If the stand itself is not bent and the rear shocks are standard length, it's possible that the ends of the cross-tube, that supports the stand pivot tube, are corroded / split. If this is the case, it will take some skilled welding to repair. I actually chose to replace the entire frame on my '75 GL1000 because it had this problem . Get on the floor with a bright flashlight to check the frame tube carefully. Also, compare some pictures of other gl's on the mainstand to yours. If your stand appears to be angled forward more, the frame damage above, is more likely to be the case. Hopefully not!
Maz
If I just choose to not use the center stand, is there any safety issues with the frame being messed up there?

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

Robert congrats on the new ride. Does it have stock shocks on it? If they were changed and are progressive shocks then the wheel will be on the ground. If the bike has been in FL it's entire life I doubt corrosion from salt would be an issue. If the frames is rusted then you will need to get that corrected. It's the frame and any week point is a problem on a frame.
1. Check the shocks first as it may be normal.
2. If the shocks are stock then it's possible you may need a new center stand. You can check Ebay for used ones and then just change it out and problem solved.
Enjoy the new ride. I'm sure it will bring many years of joy to you as long as you maintain it.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Are these the original rear shocks?
Attachments

Sparky4017
Motorcycle: 83 goldwing aspencade 1100
95 BMW 750 (The Flying Brick)
84 goldwing aspencade 1200 SOLD

Post by Sparky4017 »

Looks like the same shocks that are on my Aspencade except the dust boots are missing in your picture 8-)

FLRobert

Post by FLRobert »

Hey everyone,

I just got done putting in a new thermostat and timing belts. I didn't have the stuff to do the bearings but they seemed to be in good shape.

QUESTION!
In the Haynes and the videos on you tube, the timing covers have two bolts each. So four bolts in all. Both my covers have one bolt in the outside while and dust cover plugs on the inside bolt hole. Is that a problem!

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Post by sportsfreaked »

Those are the stock shocks that you have on the bike. They need to have new boots at the very least but new shocks are rebuild the stock ones are probably in order. The timing cover should be okay the way it is. A lot of people have it set up like that.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 »

There is a white 1200 parked at the VA Hospital every day. I assume he or she works there. Leave a note with a phone number on it and maybe between you two, you can get heads together and get a lot of questions answered. Not sure He is a member here, maybe you can recruit him too :D . Can't hurt. I ride my 1500 there every chance I can going to appointments in Gainsville. Ixs on the south side of the hospital in the disabled parking lot. :D

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave