1986 SEi voltage readings?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
swimtech01
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

1986 SEi voltage readings?

Post by swimtech01 »

Okay Goldwing friends,

I've got the 1986 Aspencade SEi restoration project running. After cleaning the tank, new plugs, a new fuel pump and fuel filter, some Mystery Marvel Oil in the cylinders, she runs really well. So, it's on to the next minor issues for a bike that hasn't run in 14 years.

My immediate question though... What should the voltage gauge be reading on the fancy dashboard meter? I'm getting 13.6 at this time. Just want to be mentally aware of the possibility that I may/will have stator issues. Also, is the alternator work around (for future reference) a possibility on Sei's? Thanks in advance for your input - Bill

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: 1986 SEi voltage readings?

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I have the '85 LTD and your alt reading is good. I would compare it to a reading directly from the battery with a multimeter - there can be a difference. It must be remembered that gauges can be very accurate or not, but what you want to see is consistency every time you ride the bike. I would only be concerned when things change and should not have.

Putting an external alternator on your SEi is a good work around for a bad stator. Not a lot of room to install but it can be done, I put one on mine - tucked in quite nicely.

Replacing the stator is also a possibility, but requires engine removal. Advantages to replacing the stator is that you can clean an area of the bike that generally never gets a good cleaning. If your bike has been towing a trailer, I would recommend a clutch rebuild including a new damper plate (Plate B) when the engine is out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rusty Bike
Motorcycle: 86 GL1200 SEi, 98 Valkyrie Std, 78 Yamaha XS750SE, 86 Honda XL125, 4.5 HP belt drive Minibike my dad built, foot clutch!

Post by Rusty Bike »

I have an SEi also. 13.6 is good. If you have a bunch of aftermarket light on it, either switch all the bulbs to LED's or take the lights off. That alternator is only rated at 500 Watts so the less load, the better. Personally, I think they look like crap but that's just me. Do you have pics of your bike?

Question, where did you get the fuel filter? Thanks and happy riding...Rusty

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

Hi swim t :
Your voltage readings look good....
....... but to be absolutely sure , you should cut / disconnect the three yellows,
and do the ( infamous) three part 1200 stator test :

http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm

or here , if you'd rather :
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... -test.html

Its the ONLY sure way to test all three branches of the stator coils.

and .... after 14 years, i'd also test the rect/reg
( see your manual ... you need a swinging needle multimeter , probably )

SilverDave

swimtech01
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Post by swimtech01 »

Thank you all for the responses. As usual, you've provided information that has been super-helpful.

Bill