Oil Leak on the right side

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
trhaag
Motorcycle: 1984 gl 1200 Aspencade
GSX 600 f 2005 (sold)
CB 500 1995 (Sold)
GS450 1985 (sold)
CB 350 twin year ? (sold)
Jinlun 250 crap (sold)

Oil Leak on the right side

Post by trhaag »

I have a problem with my Gl 1200 It leaking oil from the right side. I can not figure out where. I think maybe that's the oil dipstick. The oil splashing up on the inside part of my boot. I have just changed the valve cover gasket. It seems that the oil comes with the pressure. It comes first with warm engine and high rpm. Are there some who have had that problem? :shock:

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Oil Leak on the right side

Post by oldishwinger »

yep been there, it can be either the cam cover seal, or the dipstick seal, or the valve cover gasket, a dipstick leak can be a real bear to fix, the only way I got it in the end was to put a bolt and rubber seal in it place.

trhaag
GSX 600 f 2005 (sold)
CB 500 1995 (Sold)
GS450 1985 (sold)
Jinlun 250 crap (sold)

Post by trhaag »

You are probably right. I will try to put Oil suck up around the engine to locate the problem. Thanks for the suggestion to the problem. ;)

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

did you change the rubber grommets on the valve cover bolts ? if not they need to be done . the dip stick has an o ring ,, that can be got at any hydraulic shop .

trhaag
GSX 600 f 2005 (sold)
CB 500 1995 (Sold)
GS450 1985 (sold)
Jinlun 250 crap (sold)

Post by trhaag »

geraldm wrote:did you change the rubber grommets on the valve cover bolts ? if not they need to be done . the dip stick has an o ring ,, that can be got at any hydraulic shop .
Yes I have changed the rubber grommets on the Valve cover. I don´t think is comming from there. I can not with certainty be sure it does not come from there. So I have to tape on oil suck and see. Are offshore so it must be after Easter. :D :D

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

trhaag wrote:
geraldm wrote:did you change the rubber grommets on the valve cover bolts ? if not they need to be done . the dip stick has an o ring ,, that can be got at any hydraulic shop .
Yes I have changed the rubber grommets on the Valve cover. I don´t think is coming from there. I can not with certainty be sure it does not come from there. So I have to tape on oil suck and see. Are offshore so it must be after Easter. :D :D
One thing for certain , although certainly not a safety issue but my GL leaked a few spoon fulls mostly from the left side ,, First time i went to polish my boots the right took on a nice shine but the left one has no shine at all ( conclusion ) engine oil will screw your riding boots. just saying . have a good one