Ignition Switch Problem?????

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
mryan60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Limited

Ignition Switch Problem?????

Post by mryan60 »

HELP! I have a 1985 Goldwing 1200 Limited and I am having an intermittent problem starting. When everything works correctly, I turn the key on and 3 lights come on in the instrument panel. Fuel System, Fuel, and Oil. Then the Fuel System light go off then the Fuel light goes off, I start the bike and on my way. What has been happening with more frequency lately, I turn the key on and only the "Oil" light comes on and it will not start. When that happens, I turn the key off and on until all three lights light up. Sometimes it works right away. sometimes I have to through turning the key 15-20 minuets. I have replaced the ignition switch twice and I am having the same problem. Can anyone give me a suggestion :idea: ? I am going bald because of this problem!

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: Ignition Switch Problem?????

Post by sportsfreaked »

I assume that the neutral light is on as well? If you pull the clutch in will it start? Is the fuel pump coming on at all? If your fuel lights are not coming on I would think you would need to start there and check your connections for your fuel system. Another question is, will it crank and not fire?
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

mryan60

Post by mryan60 »

Yes, the neutral light does come on. When the fuel system and the fuel light does not come on, the fuel pump does not run. When they do come on, I can hear the pump prime. It will crank, but not fire. Thanks for the response.

sportsfreaked

Post by sportsfreaked »

I think it's safe to assume that the problem is with your connectors. When you open the lid for the gas tank and raise the travel computer you will see a bank of connectors the connectors to the left are for the fuel system. Make sure that those are pushed in all the way. You can also wiggle it and you will hear the pump come on and off if it is a loose connection which I'm sure it is. You can also unplug them and clean them with contact cleaner and then use dielectric grease to put back together. That should solve your problem.
Ed

mryan60

Post by mryan60 »

Thanks, I will give that a try and let you know how it works out!

mryan60

Post by mryan60 »

I tried checking the connection, cleaning and using dielectric grease but I am still have the same intermittent problem. Any other suggestions before I am forced to pay $90.00 an hour for troubleshooting?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile »

I have a question.
You mention that you replaced the ignition switch twice.Was this because of the same exact problems?
In the mean time,if you have a simple test light yo work with,I'll look at the wiring to locate critical test points to narrow down the power loss.

mryan60

Post by mryan60 »

Yes, the same problem. The Ignition switch was replaced by a "motorcycle shop" and I do have a 12 volt test light. Thanks for the help!

sportsfreaked

Post by sportsfreaked »

Okay do you have a wiring diagram? The problem I believe is in the circuit to the fuel pump and injection. I know the connectors are under the false tank right under the travel computer and they are the ones on the left hand side like I said before. It has to be there I would think. You said you took the connectors apart. Did you check to make sure the wiring and the connectors themselves are in good shape? Let me know if you need a schematic I think I have one I will have to check. Actually the schematics are in the manual section here on the site. You also want the supplemental one for the limited edition. It has step by step diagnostics for the fuel system.
Ed

mryan60

Post by mryan60 »

Thanks. I got a hold of the supplemental manual, followed the trouble shooting (even though I really didn't understand most of it). As I was testing for proper voltage in the connector off from the fuse block, going from your left to your right, 4th wire top bank, as I inserted the probe, everything came on. Removed the probe, went out. repeated the process several time to be sure. Looks like, with all your help, source of the problem FOUND! Thinking of having my hair replanted back into my head now :-)
Thanks for helping!

sportsfreaked

Post by sportsfreaked »

My pleasure and I'm glad you got it figured out. I knew that had to be it in that harness from expierence. I had to redo the audio plug for the travel computer. I fixed that then it wouldn't fire. Found loose connection right there and fixed mine as well. Safe riding.

Ed