Front engine case

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Front engine case

Post by walker70 »

Hi,thank goodness this was on my parts bike,I took the front cover off but whoever put this thing on used too much sealant on the gasket and when I loosened all the bolts they came off pretty easily except for the one in the photo,I have never had much luck using an easy out tool,my thought was to put the cover back on and drill into the case so it doesn't go in at an angle then tap it with a slightly larger bolt,again this is on my parts bike so it is not a big issue right now but I want to get it so I can put the cover on properly cause once I get my other bike back together and running I want to see about getting the parts bike running,if any of you have a better idea on this, thanks. :D

boonny
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade

Re: Front engine case

Post by boonny »

First use a center punch to get the drill bit on center. Next use left hand twist drill bit, set your drill to reverse and with luck the broken bolt will come out as you drill into it. http://www.harborfreight.com/left-hand- ... 61686.html I know those bolts are small, just take your time and try to get into the most comfortable position possible. good luck

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Thanks,I will go get a set of those,but like I say this is on my parts bike so I can take my time with it.

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Hi,I'm sure I have asked this somewhere on here,since I have the front engine case off my running bike as well as the one on my parts bike,when I put them back on are you supposed to put the paper gasket on without any rtv sealer or not,like I said I think I posted about this a while back but can't find that post,I know when I replace these type of gaskets on my truck I always use rtv,but can't make up my mind on this,the book says no but it seems to me it would be more leak proof to use it. :D

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

IMO if any sealant is used , it should not be a silicone base as it always seems to let the gasket slide around a tad . if anything is used maybe a spray type , sticky formula , that will grab on to both surfaces to be sealed , something that doesn't get hard from heat . what ever you use apply it sparingly .good luck

walker70

Post by walker70 »

This is a water pump question,since it is the water pump on the front case of my parts bike, I was checking the pump to see what condition it was in and I found this,the c-clip does not engage on the shaft as it should so I was curious as to whether these c-clips are still easy to get,my local dealer says they can't get them or the seal,just want to know if anybody can tell me where to get these short of having to buy a complete gasket kit off ebay. :D

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Hi, I found a place not far from me that deals in fasteners and they had all kinds of nuts and bolt and all sorts of fasteners,so that was a problem that was an easy solve. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

There should be no sealant used at all - if anything, just a touch of light adhesive, enough to hold the gasket in place long enough to get the cover on. The gasket has sealant that is pressure and heat activated, no extra RTV or any other kind of sealant is needed (or should be used).

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Thanks for all the info,I did use only a light coat of sealant to hold it on this time and so far it is working great.