1984 Goldwing 1200 interstate Regulators

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
infsold
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing GL1200

1984 Goldwing 1200 interstate Regulators

Post by infsold »

I am reposting this again in the hopes of finding an answer.

I have a 1984 Honda Goldwing 1200 Interstate with gauges( not digital). My fuel and coolant gauge maxed out and I have no headlight, turn signals ect. My research here says it's a voltage regulator. I have not been able to find a picture of the regulator and that being said can't seem to locate it on my bike. I had the bike disassembled for repairs and paint and did not remember seeing anything under the instrument cluster. Please help spring is here and I need to ride lol

Several replys state that the 7 volt regulator is under the instrument panel. I have taken the bike apart and can not identify a regulator. Does it look like the main one under the gas tank fairing? I am at a loss, and not sure what it looks like.

thanks for your help, weather is getting nice and wife wants to ride lol

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 130k miles
2009 Honda Silverwing 16k miles -- the wife's scooter

Re: 1984 Goldwing 1200 interstate Regulators

Post by skier »

Do you have a 1984 Standard (naked), or the Interstate (with all the plastic body pieces)? I believe that the 7 volt regulator is used only on the Standard. Maybe others will chime in if I'm wrong.

infsold

Post by infsold »

I have the interstate with all the busy work , thanks for ur response

Shadowjack
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1975 CB750
2011 NT700VA

Post by Shadowjack »

I have an 84 Interstate and I just went through a problem with the temp gauge not reading at all. The factory manual shows how to check a 7V regulator, but I believe it's used only on the LCD instrument panel--I can verify there is no such thing on an Interstate, and the diagram for a Standard is the same as the Interstate here.

There are three wires needed for each gauge: power, ground, and sense, but both gauges share 12V power and ground, so if they have a common problem, it's probably something wrong with one of those. If only one gauge is bad, then it's in the gauge itself or the sense circuit.

It appears that the gauges are a balanced coil design. One internal reference coil goes from 12V to ground, and the other goes from 12V to ground through the variable resistance sensor. As the sensor changes resistance, the current changes, and the mismatch between the two flows makes the needle move. But as long as the coils share the same input voltage, they won't read wrong, no matter how low it goes, so they don't need a voltage-dropping regulator.

I had a no-move situation, where the wire to the temp sensor had a bad connection. I wonder if you have a bad ground, where the only coil that's getting current is the variable one, making the gauges go full-scale? That may be why your lights don't work as well.

infsold

Post by infsold »

Thank you , I rode all summer and was on my last ride when it started going to heck, not sure if a bad ground would cause that , do u think I need a new main voltage regulator to fix this, or should I try and find what u described

Shadowjack
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1975 CB750
2011 NT700VA

Post by Shadowjack »

Nothing to do with the main regulator. And it's not the battery ground I'm talking about, but the green ground wires in the fairing. The headlight, turn signals, dash lights, and instruments all ground together to the same green wire in the 24-pin plug. That goes to chassis ground somewhere in the harness. If you pull out your fairing pockets, there should be an unused green wire with a female socket you can temporarily jumper to the frame and see if it fixes it.

infsold

Post by infsold »

Thank you I will try to find that and see what I can do , I appreciate your help

infsold

Post by infsold »

I am currently checking the ground issue as u stated, not sure if that could be for the fact that the gauges pegged first , then the turn signal issue then lost the headlight , it didn't happen all at once but in stages on the same day