what would make my solenoid melt??

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
tomsbike
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 interstate

what would make my solenoid melt??

Post by tomsbike »

I've been working on my brothers bike it is a 1984 GL1200 interstate. And his solenoid melted. He replaced it. But it seems weird, 2 wire's plug into the top on the backside two plug-ins and a 3rd wire comes from the front lower screw (lead strip goes from 1 screw to the other screw ) and the 3rd wire is plugged into what seem's to be a relay. If that wire is connected the bike will run. After the bike is turned off the next afternoon he has a dead battery. The battery has been deep cycle charged. I put a test light and found a green wire with a red strip that plugs into the solenoid is continuously drawing power. Any ideas as to where does this wire go to and why does it continue to draw power when the key is off and laying on the seat.

Shadowjack
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1975 CB750
2011 NT700VA

Re: what would make my solenoid melt??

Post by Shadowjack »

When you say the green/red wire is "drawing power" what do you mean? Is there voltage on it when the ignition is on, or off, or both? Is there voltage on when it's disconnected from the relay? That's the wire that goes to the clutch switch and the neutral switch, and then to ground, so the solenoid will pull when you hit the starter button. If the trans is not in neutral, and the clutch is out, there will be voltage on it if you press the starter button, but it will drop when you pull the clutch or put it in neutral. The hot wire from the starter switch is yellow/red, but it shouldn't have voltage until the starter button is pressed. Whenever it's hot, it will pass through the solenoid coil and show on the green/red, as long as the clutch switch and neutral switches are open.

tomsbike

Post by tomsbike »

I disconnected the positive cable and hooked up a test light to the positive side of the battery and touched each wire with the other end of my test light. None of them lit up. Except the green wire with the red stripe.and my brother has it plugged into the solenoid. Now I'm just getting onto it. With the battery disconnected there should be nothing right? He has no clutch switch that I can find. The key is off and pulled out every light' is off. The solenoid does not have an external fuse. But it does have 1 wire from the solenoid that goes to a relay. that is just hanging there stickiing out like. The previous owner added on his own and used sodler on 1 side of the relay. It's weird man. I'll get into it more. If I hear from you. There is alot more to this. And thank you for your intrest. Guy.

Shadowjack
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1975 CB750
2011 NT700VA

Post by Shadowjack »

Urk. If there's wiring changes and components added by someone, I'm afraid you're on your own with this. If the bike is in neutral, though, a test light will light when you touch the green/red wire. It should go off when you put it in gear, and that's all normal. Sounds like you'll have to work out what that other relay is for. Good luck.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The starter solenoid should have four wires attached. A red, red/white striped, yellow/red stripe, and a green/red stripe. The red and red/white wire should be live at all times. The red wire goes to the ignition switch. The red/white striped wire is from the regulator/rectifier for charging.

The yellow/red striped wire is from the start switch and provides power to the starter solenoid to energize the internal coil to provide power to the starter. The green/red striped wire goes to ground via the clutch diode (if you have one). If your bike does not have a clutch diode you will have to start the bike with the clutch lever pulled in. Here is a diagram of the starter relay and how it should be wired:

Disregard the writing that says yellow/red striped wire from kill switch - this was before I became intimate with the electrical circuit for starting.

Hope this helps.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

tomsbike

Post by tomsbike »

Thank you for getting back with me. I'll be going to my brothers house tuesday I believe. And if your intrested let me know and I shall let you know if we were triuphit thanks again. Guy

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Put this post on another thread, thought it would be good info for you.

Here is a picture of the starter solenoid wiring.

The four wires are:

Red wire - from starter solenoid to ignition switch
Red/white striped wire - to starter solenoid from regulator/rectifier for charging
Yellow/rd striped wire - from start switch to energize internal coil to send power to starter
Green/red striped wire - out to ground from starter solenoid. Completes circuit for starter. Generally goes to ground through a clutch diode so you don't have to start the bike by pulling in the clutch lever.

Your regulator/rectifier will probably have two red/white striped wires and only one at the starter solenoid. These two wires are joined together just after the wires enter the wiring harness. The same with the two green ground wires (if there are two).

This picture depicts how the starter solenoid internal coil works to get the engine started.

The wire from the start button is the yellow/red striped wire you have connected to the starter solenoid. It goes to the starter solenoid internal coil. The wire from the internal coil going to ground is the green/red striped wire that is attached to your starter solenoid. When power is supplied to the coil the internal starter solenoid switch closes and power is supplied from the battery to the starter. Doesn't matter what solenoid you use the principle is all the same.

The red/white striped wire in your pictures is the charging wire from the regulator/rectifier and should be connected to one of the starter solenoid terminals closest to the fuse as in my schematic. When the bike is running, this wire should be live and the voltage should vary depending on the bike rpm. If it does not you can run a new (I'd use 10 gauge wire) from the regulator/rectifier directly to the starter solenoid for charging.

Another check for this wire is to disconnect the connector at the regulator/rectifier. Check the voltage on the red/white wire and there may be battery voltage on it even though it is not connected at the starter solenoid (bike does not have to be started). If you have voltage on this wire, what Honda has done is spliced the red and red/white striped wires together in the wire harness.

Here is a picture of the red-red/white striped wire splice I found in my wiring harness.

It was taped. I also found where Honda had joined the red/white striped and green wires together (I stripped out this wiring because I installed an external alternator on my '85 LTD - don't like stray wires hanging around).

Long post hope it helps. Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest