Adjusting timing after timing belt change

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
swimtech01
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Adjusting timing after timing belt change

Post by swimtech01 »

Hello Fellow GW riders

I attempted to change my timing belts today. As in the video by http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm (good video by the way) my left cam pulley shifted a bit. I moved it back manually then put the belt on. After assembling it, it runs and idles roughly and backfires a little. I think I might be a tooth off on the left timing belt as it was hard to hold it in place with the wrench and get the belt tight and in the right place. Would this account for the roughness? It was running smoothly before, just due for new belts.

Also, I will be attempting to get the timing correct again (yes, by removing the cooling system). While I have the radiator off of the bike can I start it for just a short period to make sure I have the correct timing belt placement? Or will that damage the water pump. If so, how long can the bike safely run without the water running through it?

Thanks in advance - Bill

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: Adjusting timing after timing belt change

Post by twocams »

Start all over. TDC on compression stroke ( check the book). Get the cam pulleys lined up with their timing marks. See if the marks are off. If they are take the belts off and fix it.

twocams

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

I hope you are removing the spark plugs for this little endeavor.
It will make it so much easier to rotate the crank because you will not be fighting the compression.

You really don't want to start the engine until you are sure the belts are on properly and the timing marks and pulleys match up properly. I can not verify that this engine is an interference engine where the pistons will ht the valves if they are open out of sequence. But I have heard it is and I personally am very careful with the timing.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

paneled
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 aspencade sei

Post by paneled »

being a mechanic for a living, when I install timing belts I always
turn the crank twice by hand and check to see if all marks line up again
if so then I will complete the install, if not re-time the belts.
and the Goldwing is an interference engine, the valves will come into
contact with the pistons if out of time enough. jmtcw
86 aspy sei
54 chevy panel truck
68 chevy van
69 chevy van
64 chevy van

swimtech01

Post by swimtech01 »

Thanks everyone for the info... much appreciated!

I'm going to tackle this again this weekend. I do have another quick question:

I removed the Ns sensor that sits below the crankshaft, to make room for removing and adding the timing belts. I did not adjust it, when I reinstalled it, as recommended in the manual. It may be way off! Could that account for the rough idling and occasional backfiring? I know that my timing belts are either on, or very close. And yes, I'm going to recheck those, but I may try adjusting the sensor first. Thoughts!

paneled
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing 1200 aspencade sei

Post by paneled »

you should be able to rotate and line up the marks on the belts, if they line up you are good to go, if not
re-align, once they check out ok then adjust the sensor according to the manual. one tooth off can cause
a rough idle, it sure will make one idle rough in a car when they are off a tooth.
86 aspy sei
54 chevy panel truck
68 chevy van
69 chevy van
64 chevy van

swimtech01

Post by swimtech01 »

Thanks for the info. I'm getting back to tackling this job again. Have been a little apprehensive because of the potential for damage to the motor if I'm off much.

I thought I would pull the plugs out this time to release the compression and make the task a bit easier. Your thoughts? While I have them out, I may as well confirm true TDC by feeling the travel at the #1 cylinder. Then I can take a look through the site hole to compare as well.

Can you confirm that the #1 cylinder is the front right? Also, is that as I am sitting on the bike looking down/forward?

Looking down from sitting position, this would be the pattern?

2 1
4 3