1985 LTD Steering stem Bearing Renewal

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

1985 LTD Steering stem Bearing Renewal

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Decided it was time to do the steering stem bearings on my '85 LTD. Have had the All Balls bearing set for about 15 months and have been waiting for an appropriate time to do this work. A squealing sound started over the past week or so coming from the steering stem area when I would move the steering without the bike moving. Sounded like metal on metal, but could not isolate it. Decided yesterday to start taking the front off the bike including the upper fairing.

Have been wanting to get at the position light relay because my self-cancelling lights and cornering lights stopped working. I know the cornering lights work as I have bypassed the position light relay at the signal flasher. I also read a post, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14130 and got some information regarding this. There may be other issues but I dealt with this one first and because the upper fairing has to be removed to get at this relay. The position light relay is buried under the coils and behind the wiring on both sides of the bike.

Will detail my thread with pictures, but suffice it to say, Honda packed a lot of wiring/parts/items in a very small space and this makes working on parts of the '85LTD a bugbear.

Will get more info and pictures staring tomorrow.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: 1985 LTD Steering stem Bearing Renewal

Post by geraldm »

I noticed the same thing on my 86 gl ended up it was just the rubber wiring harness complaining and squeaking when turning the bars.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

geraldm wrote:I noticed the same thing on my 86 gl ended up it was just the rubber wiring harness complaining and squeaking when turning the bars.
I didn't think the squeaking noise was a bearing and since I couldn't isolate the noise, I was "forced" into getting on with using the new bearing set I had bought. I also wanted to get at the position light relay that is buried under the coils. It'll be nice to get the upper fairing electrical connectors cleaned up, lots of crud from years of use to be gone.

My partner mentioned that the bike looks pathetic with the front end off, I have to agree with her.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Now on to the work.

I wanted to do the steering stem bearings and get at the position light relay that requires the removal of the upper front fairing.

Had to do the easy items such as removing the seat, shelter, and fairing pieces. Once this was done, the fun started.

I removed the wire connectors that are attached to the upper fairing with the right and left blind panel connectors:

It was easier to remove these and the atached wire connectors than to take the wire connectors apart.

There is a connector on the right side of the fairing just in front of the air compressor ride height control box, not a lot of room:

To get at it, I removed the air compressor ride height control box. You disconnect the electrical connector inside the right fairing pocket:

then remove three screws and remove the box:

This is the connector that had to be removed from the right side of the upper fairing.

I had also put switches, indicator lights where the right fairing pocket is. The wires for this had to be removed and will be routed slightly differently when I put the fairing back on.

The left side connectors are a bit more challenging. There are travel computer connections, radio and CB antenna connectors, radio wires to the handle bar that are all jammed into a very small space.

Will be topic of my next post.

Cheers

Ernest