No power, please help

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Jeff in Pa
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Burgman

No power, please help

Post by Jeff in Pa »

First I must apologize for asking this but only the clock has power. I want to diagnose and fix this but electrical issues are not my thing. I think I found the problem but I don't know what I must do. Please see the pic. I have 12+ volts on the 2 wires closest, nothing in back left and around .30 volts in the back right side. It looks like this is melted but is this the possible problem?

Thanks
Attachments

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: No power, please help

Post by Rednaxs60 »

You may want to get a new starter solenoid, not expensive, but most new have a blade type fuse instead of the dog bone style.

Here is a picture of the starter solenoid wiring.

The four wires are:

Red wire - from starter solenoid to ignition switch
Red/white striped wire - to starter solenoid from regulator/rectifier for charging
Yellow/rd striped wire - from start switch to energize internal coil to send power to starter
Green/red striped wire - out to ground from starter solenoid. Completes circuit for starter. Generally goes to ground through a clutch diode so you don't have to start the bike by pulling in the clutch lever.

Your regulator/rectifier will probably have two red/white striped wires and only one at the starter solenoid. These two wires are joined together just after the wires enter the wiring harness. The same with the two green ground wires (if there are two).

This picture depicts how the starter solenoid internal coil works to get the engine started.

The wire from the start button is the yellow/red striped wire you have connected to the starter solenoid. It goes to the starter solenoid internal coil. The wire from the internal coil going to ground is the green/red striped wire that is attached to your starter solenoid. When power is supplied to the coil the internal starter solenoid switch closes and power is supplied from the battery to the starter. Doesn't matter what solenoid you use the principle is all the same.

The red/white striped wire in your pictures is the charging wire from the regulator/rectifier and should be connected to one of the starter solenoid terminals closest to the fuse as in my schematic. When the bike is running, this wire should be live and the voltage should vary depending on the bike rpm. If it does not you can run a new (I'd use 10 gauge wire) from the regulator/rectifier directly to the starter solenoid for charging.

Another check for this wire is to disconnect the connector at the regulator/rectifier. Check the voltage on the red/white wire and there may be battery voltage on it even though it is not connected at the starter solenoid (bike does not have to be started). If you have voltage on this wire, what Honda has done is spliced the red and red/white striped wires together in the wire harness.

Long post hope it helps. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Thank you Ernest,

I can order and replace that no problem. The way you are describing this piece is great but I expect now it's not why I have absolutely no power anywhere but the LCD clock. Any other suggestions?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Now the next question. What bike are we talking about?
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

97Aspy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Glacier white

Post by 97Aspy »

If this is on a Goldwing 1200 I would take Ernests suggestions. Read through this old topic on this site.
viewtopic.php?t=14256
Post 15 look familiar? Good luck
Rick

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Rednaxs60 wrote:Now the next question. What bike are we talking about?
It's an '86 Aspencade

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

97Aspy wrote:If this is on a Goldwing 1200 I would take Ernests suggestions. Read through this old topic on this site.
viewtopic.php?t=14256
Post 15 look familiar? Good luck
Rick
Rick that was it. Very simple to do and she's back on the road!

Thank you to all who helped!