Butchered wiring

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jeffharlan68
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Butchered wiring

Post by jeffharlan68 »

I am a new Winger. I have a 1987 GL1200 Aspencade that I am diving into. I have found that the PO, who loved his lights, has the wiring butchered. There have been connections upon connections. In the right side fairing compartment, behind the air compressor controls were several relays that went to some of the lights and some cut wires at different points. I eliminated just about all of these relays, however, there was one that the PO installed that baffled me because when I unplugged it, I had no power to the ignition switch. My question is: With all the hacks that have been made to the wiring harness and the fairing harness, should I just go ahead and replace the harness with one from ebay, or is there a company that makes complete wiring harnesses including relays, fuses, etc? Thanks!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Butchered wiring

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

If you have removed the redundant/excess wiring, and all items are working for you - I would leave it alone. If you get problems constantly arising electrical gremlins then I would be tempted to replace the harness. But just handle one problem at a time and fix as you go.. you will know your bike very well when you finish. :D

jeffharlan68

Post by jeffharlan68 »

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to get all the electrical problems out of the way since I have all the body panels off preparing them for paint. If it looks like I need to replace the harness, I'd rather do it now, because I do not want to tear this bike down again! Thanks again for the input!

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

My Clymer manual has quite accurate COLOURED wiring diagrams of the 1200 series . My wiring also had several components that were black for hot , black For neutral , and black for neutral .... agh ...double agh !!

I slowly replaced as many wires as possible, carefully hard soldered and shrink wrapped as many of the iffy connections , and over almost a year labeled all the wires and relays with 1 cm x 1 cm labels .
And as Aussie points out , by the end of that process you get to know your bike really well.
In my case, I also add lines and labels to my Clymer manual coloured wiring diagram.

I also personally like ring-of-fire lights and LED bars across the back and sides, as well as good driving lights.

As long as all butchered connections are removed, and there are no un-fused or ugly y-connections ,
..... then as long as lights and horns and CB and back-off modules,etc actually work, then labeled a well as colour coded wiring is very acceptable
You can put as many LED's on as your OEM stator as you dare, or , in your case , strip it as bare as you want .

There are versions of 1200 with both extremes ..... both look good !

Unless the wiring is crispy, or brittle , I would leave it .
I see no real advantage in a used harness ( $50 to $100)...
....It would also be 30 years old .
New harness's are about $300+, and would still need additional wires going to many sub components.

I'd worry much much more about all the entire stator-solenoid-battery- reg/rect wiring.. it gets really iffy in an old bike..... and can cause major problems if any of those items go haywire. For instance high resistance at the rect/reg connectors can take down a stator .

At the very least cut and hard solder all the 55 volt connections -Yellows at Reg and stator plugs

Also think about an EC 1200 wiring harness :
https://electricalconnection.com/index. ... da/gl1200/

A good $50 to spend ... It replaces most of the iffy connections that could cause problems in an older bike.

My two cents ¢

SilverDave

jeffharlan68

Post by jeffharlan68 »

Thanks guys. I'll be looking up that harness from EC.