Is it normal for drive system to sound different under a load?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Jeff in Pa
Motorcycle: 2008 Suzuki Burgman

Is it normal for drive system to sound different under a load?

Post by Jeff in Pa »

When I am in a high gear going up a hill and the engine is working harder than normal I hear a louder than normal sound coming from the drive train. This is my first Wing and being an '86 I wonder if it's just normal for this?

Thanks

twocams
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade ( sold in Canada), 2003 K1200GT BMW, 1969 R69S BMW,92 R100 RT BMW
Sold : 84 V65 Magna, 82 Moto Guzzi, XS 1100 Yamaha,84 Wing Int., 80 650 Special, Only new bike 82 XV750 Virago (Guam),Honda 250,84 R100RT BMW,87 K100 LT BMW,93 K1100 LT BMW, 91 535 Virago, Honda 50

Re: Is it normal for drive system to sound different under a load?

Post by twocams »

Sounds like you maybe doing what is called " lugging the engine". Going up a hill in the wrong gear. What happens when you downshift to another gear? These bikes are old school. 700 lbs of metal with 4 carbs and 1200cc. They are a road bike, where they shine, is going 70-80mph on flat open Interstate. And yes you can hear loader drivetrain noises.

twocams

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

twocams wrote:Sounds like you maybe doing what is called " lugging the engine". Going up a hill in the wrong gear. What happens when you downshift to another gear? These bikes are old school. 700 lbs of metal with 4 carbs and 1200cc. They are a road bike, where they shine, is going 70-80mph on flat open Interstate. And yes you can hear loader drivetrain noises.

twocams
Thanks twocams,

I was hoping that " lugging the engine" is all it is but like I said this is my first Wing. I think you are right on though. My last Honda was a Magna and they have loads of torque so I never really had that happen plus it was an '01

Thanks

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The 1200s need to be operated in the mid to high rpm range, unless you are travelling on a flat stretch you will lug the engine and hear all sorts of weird sounds. My son-in-law gives me a hard time when I ride as I do ride in the wrong gear a lot. He is a proponent of keeping in the power band regardless of the gear. The 1800 is even worse for this as you can ride it around town in 3rd/4th all day long regardless of the road terrain - lots of torque. I was on an advanced riding course and this was one of the topics that came up - the instructors were adamant that we who ride larger bikes with lots of torque should quit riding in a gear not appropriate for the terrain or situation. Even though there is lots of torque the ability to have the bike react favourably to an unexpected situation may/will not be there. Long and the short is stay near or in the power band and the bike will be happier, and you will be safer as well.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Jeff in Pa

Post by Jeff in Pa »

Rednaxs60 wrote:The 1200s need to be operated in the mid to high rpm range, unless you are travelling on a flat stretch you will lug the engine and hear all sorts of weird sounds. My son-in-law gives me a hard time when I ride as I do ride in the wrong gear a lot. He is a proponent of keeping in the power band regardless of the gear. The 1800 is even worse for this as you can ride it around town in 3rd/4th all day long regardless of the road terrain - lots of torque. I was on an advanced riding course and this was one of the topics that came up - the instructors were adamant that we who ride larger bikes with lots of torque should quit riding in a gear not appropriate for the terrain or situation. Even though there is lots of torque the ability to have the bike react favourably to an unexpected situation may/will not be there. Long and the short is stay near or in the power band and the bike will be happier, and you will be safer as well.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers

Thank you very much!!

This website is awesome!!