Voltage regulator issue?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
doc2bmrd
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L Limited Edition

Voltage regulator issue?

Post by doc2bmrd »

I've got a 1985 GL1200 LTD that I picked up last summer. Seems to have a charging problem. Initially I assumed it was likely the stator. Ran the stator through the usual tests and it appears to be OK. I get ~5.5V coming out of each of the three yellow wires when the bike is running. BUT ... here's what I discovered last night. At the voltage regulator with the bike running but 3 yellows disconnected from the voltage regulator, I still get ~5.5V coming from the stator. When I plug them into the voltage regulator, the voltage on two of the 3 remains at ~5.5V, but the third drops to <1V and the wire gets quite hot. Is this an indication of a problem with the voltage regulator and time for a new one?

Haven't tested the voltage regulator yet, partly because I don't know if I have the right meter to test it's function properly. Seems to me that there must be a short somewhere though.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Voltage regulator issue?

Post by WingAdmin »

doc2bmrd wrote:I've got a 1985 GL1200 LTD that I picked up last summer. Seems to have a charging problem. Initially I assumed it was likely the stator. Ran the stator through the usual tests and it appears to be OK. I get ~5.5V coming out of each of the three yellow wires when the bike is running. BUT ... here's what I discovered last night. At the voltage regulator with the bike running but 3 yellows disconnected from the voltage regulator, I still get ~5.5V coming from the stator. When I plug them into the voltage regulator, the voltage on two of the 3 remains at ~5.5V, but the third drops to <1V and the wire gets quite hot. Is this an indication of a problem with the voltage regulator and time for a new one?

Haven't tested the voltage regulator yet, partly because I don't know if I have the right meter to test it's function properly. Seems to me that there must be a short somewhere though.
It doesn't sound like you are measuring correctly. The stators put out three phase AC, and AC doesn't have a positive or negative value - it's both.

Switch your meter to AC, not DC. Then measure across each pair of yellow wires, one probe on each yellow wire. Be careful, as there are potentially LETHAL voltages on those yellow wires when the engine is running. Do not touch the wires with your fingers!

Do this with the stator not connected to the regulator, incidentally.

doc2bmrd

Post by doc2bmrd »

I also tested it as you described and everything checked out correctly.

I did figure out how to check the voltage regulator ... and it failed. Had continuity between green and one of the yellows on the voltage regulator when I shouldn't (pos to green, neg to yellow ==> no continuity on two yellows, but continuity on other yellow)

Sooo ... looks like I need a new voltage regulator. Which brings me to my next question: Since it's an LTD, do I absolutely have to get a voltage regulator for an LTD, or can I put in one from an Aspencade?? (can certainly do a workaround with connector differences)
Last edited by doc2bmrd on Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

doc2bmrd wrote:I also tested it as you described and everything checked out correctly.

I did figure out how to check the voltage regulator ... and it failed. Had continuity between green and one of the yellows on the voltage regulator when I shouldn't (pos to green, neg to yellow ==> no continuity on two yellows, but continuity on other yellow)

Sooo ... looks like I need a new voltage regulator. Which brings me to my next question: Since it's an LTD, do I absolutely have to get a voltage regulator for an LTD, or can I put in one from an Aspencade?? (can certainly do a workaround with connector differences)
Yes, continuity between a yellow wire and ground indicates a failed stator.

The LTD's have a larger capacity stator than the Aspencades, to drive the fuel injection system. So you should be looking for a higher capacity stator...or perhaps an external alternator conversion, which would solve the problem permanently.

doc2bmrd

Post by doc2bmrd »

WingAdmin wrote:

The LTD's have a larger capacity stator than the Aspencades, to drive the fuel injection system. So you should be looking for a higher capacity stator...or perhaps an external alternator conversion, which would solve the problem permanently.
No, the continuity is in the voltage regulator. Have continuity both directions between green and one of the yellows (should only be continuity one direction). I did test stator for continuity; there is none. Stator is OK.

So again ... Since it's an LTD, do I absolutely have to get a voltage regulator for an LTD, or can I put in one from an Aspencade?? (can certainly do a workaround with connector differences)

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

doc2bmrd wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:

No, the continuity is in the voltage regulator. Have continuity both directions between green and one of the yellows (should only be continuity one direction). I did test stator for continuity; there is none. Stator is OK.

So again ... Since it's an LTD, do I absolutely have to get a voltage regulator for an LTD, or can I put in one from an Aspencade?? (can certainly do a workaround with connector differences)
the stator on the ltd, puts out a higher wattage than the aspy, so I think you will need a rectifier to suit.

doc2bmrd

Post by doc2bmrd »

Thanks!! Yeah, after doing a little research waiting for a reply, I learned the LTD/SEi have a higher output stator for the fuel injection, and a different voltage regulator.

Sooo ... now to find an LTD/SEi voltage regulator. Do I go used OEM (there's a couple on eBay) or one of the aftermarkets? Anybody got good/bad experiences with the ElectroSport ESR570 on an LTD?

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

doc2bmrd wrote:Thanks!! Yeah, after doing a little research waiting for a reply, I learned the LTD/SEi have a higher output stator for the fuel injection, and a different voltage regulator.

Sooo ... now to find an LTD/SEi voltage regulator. Do I go used OEM (there's a couple on eBay) or one of the aftermarkets? Anybody got good/bad experiences with the ElectroSport ESR570 on an LTD?
go new! a used one could put you right back where you started, and you need to trust they are sending the right one, I have ricks rectifiers for my aspy, and it worked fine so maybe a place to start for you.