Gl1200 windshield replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
beavis331
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Gl1200 windshield replacement

Post by beavis331 »

Just acquired my first goldwing. A 1986 aspencade. Looking to go to a larger wind shield to reduce wind. What doe you guys suggest? Wich will reduce wind the most?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: Gl1200 windshield replacement

Post by SilverDave »

I got about 12 years ago , a Slipstreamer , large . Not sure if its still available, but I like it for 3 reasons .

A) Its large and wide ... really cuts the wind .
B ) With a regular donning of a soft black t-shirt as a cover when parked, its still clean and pristine .
( I also use a twice a year polish with Plexus to keep it waterproof and shiny )

see here , maybe :
http://slipstreamer.com/product-search- ... -year=1984

and C) When a large is installed it changes the side look of a GL1200. A stock curves up and deflects the wind up and over the rider. A slipstreamer follows the curve of the fairing , right to the top of the shield..... this completely changes the look of the 1200 wing .

SilverDave
Attachments

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

SilverDave wrote: ... etc ...
http://slipstreamer.com/product-search- ... -year=1984 When a large is installed it changes the side look of a GL1200. A stock curves up and deflects the wind up and over the rider. A slipstreamer follows the curve of the fairing , right to the top of the shield..... this completely changes the look of the 1200 wing .

SilverDave
That is a slick looking windshield!
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

beavis331

Post by beavis331 »

SilverDave wrote:I got about 12 years ago , a Slipstreamer , large . Not sure if its still available, but I like it for 3 reasons .

A) Its large and wide ... really cuts the wind .
B ) With a regular donning of a soft black t-shirt as a cover when parked, its still clean and pristine .
( I also use a twice a year polish with Plexus to keep it waterproof and shiny )

see here , maybe :
http://slipstreamer.com/product-search- ... -year=1984

and C) When a large is installed it changes the side look of a GL1200. A stock curves up and deflects the wind up and over the rider. A slipstreamer follows the curve of the fairing , right to the top of the shield..... this completely changes the look of the 1200 wing .

SilverDave
Very nice windshield. Is that what they call the wrap around?

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 »

beavis331 wrote: Very nice windshield. Is that what they call the wrap around?
I have a Slipstreamer on my 85 GL1200 Interstate and love it...
Sam

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

Am in process of getting my 1200 back on road since 1500 is gone (maybe a story for another time). Need to replace the windshield also. 1200 had a standard windshield on it, which was fine, it was at the height that I could look over it. It deflected wind just over my head. In the rain; however, the windshield gets hard to see through and looking over works out. The 1500 had a tall windshield on it, always had problems seeing through it in the rain. Just a thought about rain and windshields, unless your a fair weather rider and don't have to worry about it, like a friend of mine that won't ride if it is threatening rain in the next state. Just a question, does anybody know if the 1500 or 1800 vent will fit the curvature of the 1200 windshield? Had bought one to replace on the 1500, and it is gone before had chance to install it. Thought I'd try to install it on the new 1200 windshield, since Admin has a very nicely detailed install that seems easy enough.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

beavis331

Post by beavis331 »

Hadn't thought about rain but I know riding into the sun it can be nice to look over the windshield.

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 »

beavis331 wrote:Hadn't thought about rain but I know riding into the sun it can be nice to look over the windshield.
I am 6'1" and the top of the windshield is just below my line of sight. I don't get any turbulence at all, so far haven't been caught in the rain here in the deserts of AZ. But you never can tell if you ride during our monsoon season..

Sam
Sam

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

beavis331 wrote:
SilverDave wrote:I got about 12 years ago , a Slipstreamer ... etc ... When a large is installed it changes the side look of a GL1200. A stock curves up and deflects the wind up and over the rider. A slipstreamer follows the curve of the fairing , right to the top of the shield..... this completely changes the look of the 1200 wing .

SilverDave
Very nice windshield. Is that what they call the wrap around?
I have the wrap around, (so named I guess as it ... "wraps around") had one many years ago and it got scratched badly, so ordered another and then cut it down (I like to look across the top to see the road way ahead) ... and found I cut that one too much ... and so then one day just looking found one scratched at the edge on ebay "cheap" so I bought it, then trimmed it (but not so much as the one I was not happy with) and in time fitted it with a GL1800 vent (well made, came to me mounted in a scratched Tulsa so I used a band saw to cut around vent area to keep as a pattern for that vent) and I added the matt black vinyl across lower part (however some have the black silk screened on them).

But have had a wrap around on the 1200 since the later 1990s. I attached my brackets back then and just use good zip ties to tie w-shield to them for minimal vibration.

On the 1500 Trike I have a F-4 windshield, it's thinner and made of MR-10 Lexan which is hard coated ... it is a better windshield in that it will not "break" .... just bend a lot. MR-10 is what they use in NASCAR for windshields, just thicker. I have given thought to replacing my wrap around with a F-4.

The wrap around is 3/16" thick plexiglass, it will break in shards. It might deflect a thrown bolt, bird, etc in traffic, but it'll likely break doing it. The MR-10 will probably survive with a few scratches, I have folded pieces of scrap MR-10 after trimming that one down across top on the 1500.

Snap back.

Try that with plexiglass! LOL

Either one will deflect better than NO windshield though.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

beavis331

Post by beavis331 »

Nice! A lot of good info! Just what I was looking for.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

I don't know why or when it replicated my pics so many times????

I simply used links to the originals? :lol:

… & Have a Safe Trip!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

CrystalPistol wrote:I don't know why or when it replicated my pics so many times????

I simply used links to the originals? :lol:
I fixed it for you. :)

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

WingAdmin wrote: I fixed it for you. :)
Thank you Sir!

… & Have a Safe Trip!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Make your choice...

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

beavis331

Post by beavis331 »

That makes a strong case for poly windshields.

Cap
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

GL 1200 - 1500 - 1600 Windshields

Post by Cap »

In 2011, at a Lake George, NY Americade, I purchased an extra tall, extra wide guaranteed unbreakable, unscratchable, undingable, un-everything that's a pain in the butt about windshields and windscreens for motorcycles. It cost about $300.00 back then.

It is still on my '94 SE and it is like brand new to this day. Not a scratch. Not a blemish. No spidering. No nighttime flash glare. It is one amazing windshield.

http://www.f4customs.com in Streetsboro, OH (330) 968-4644 from the receipt I still have in file. Not sure if it's still current but find them and get this windshield and never ever worry about another one for quite a while.

goldper
Motorcycle: gl1200 SEI

Post by goldper »

I have changed the stock windshield on my GL1200 SEI to a madstad windshield.

I am very satisfied. And I like the look.
Attachments

crowtoe
Motorcycle: 1996 Gl1500 SE

Post by crowtoe »

Not sure if made for a 1200 but I have the Tulsa Enterprises unit on my GL1500. At my height (5'-9") my eyes and part of my forehead are below the top, thereby providing added protection from flying objects. It also allows me to wear lighter-framed prescription glasses which otherwise would vibrate and wobble in the wind. I can also stretch up slightly for a better view if the windshield gets dirty or muddled with rainwater.
While their are thinner and/or more scratch-resistant (or proof) shields out there, this unit does not bend as easily, the benefit being reflections won't be as apt to bounce around and up into your eyes to foul your vision or distract you.
As far as cleaning, I always start by using Griot's Garage "Plastic Polish" (www.griotsgarage.com) that was developed for use on convertible top windows. It is applied just like a paste wax. If applied lightly it will not scratch the shield and will give you a modicum of water sheeting action similar to what RainX does on glass. (WARNING: Never use any petroleum-based product on these as they can disfigure your shield.) The polish can also remove minor scratches you might encounter - just follow the instructions.
In between applications I use a wet rag (carried in a Ziplock) for the bugs and/or dirty road spray, then finish up with NON-ammoniated glass cleaner.
Good luck on your selection!