Fairing wiring loom

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jeffharlan68
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Fairing wiring loom

Post by jeffharlan68 »

I have an '87 Aspencade that one of the PO's really hacked the wiring, especially in and around the fairing. Many of the lights that he had hooked up were broken, not working, etc. There were several wires that were melted, including the headlight plug. I'm tempted to scrap the the whole loom and install an extra wiring loom that I have. My question is: Do I need to remove the fairing to replace the whole loom or can I leave it on the bike and fish it through the openings?
The air compressor and the factory radio have been removed as well, if that has any bearing on the question. Thanks, Wingers!

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Fairing wiring loom

Post by julimike54 »

Not sure about yours, but on mine the wires going into the fairing are on a few plugs at the fairing. This allows the fairing to be unplugged and removed for service. When I removed the fairing on mine I only had some aftermarket wiring I had to disconnect and then I added a plug for re-assembly. The bikes 'harness' would be what plugs into the fairing plugs. I'm not sure what advantage would be gained by removing the fairing, unless you want to secure it to a bench to work on and be able to access the fairing from all sides.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

jeffharlan68
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by jeffharlan68 »

I was hoping I wouldn't have to! I'll let you know what happens!

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Just had the front fairing off of mine and there is considerably more room to work on the wiring on the bike. If yours has wiring issues, taking the front fairing off will allow better access to the wiring and you will be able to do repairs that much better. Routing of wiring is also easier if you have to, not a lot of room with the fairing on. For a one time aspect, I'd recommend it.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Post by tbeiler »

Agree with removing the fairing to get at your wiring. I did the same on my 86 Aspy, it gives you full access when removed. After 30 years of not being off, I pulled out a ton of dried bugs from inside base of fairing and repaired some chafed wiring and even got my clock working again. The hardest part is getting the 2 large connectors removed from LHS connecting bike harness to fairing harness. Also a good idea to have two sets of hands available when removing the fairing, its a bit awkward for one person alone to do it. Good Luck.