Electrical and air shocks problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
SILVEREAGLE355
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing 1200 Limited Edition

Electrical and air shocks problem

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

My dream of being on the road again and feeling free seems like it won't come true, for the electrical (problem comes from the fact that the prior owner eliminated the stator and replaced it with an alternator) on my 1985 Goldwing Limited Edition has is beyond my financial capability, and if that's not enough the air shocks are not holding air and I imagine the repair of them is sky high because they have to be rebuilt. And I have no other resources but my VA Compensation of $589.34 a month and no one around to help.
IF ANYONE HAS A SUGGESTION ON HOW I CAN DO THIS MYSELF LETTING ME KNOW THE PARTS AND TOOLS I NEED I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. GOD BLESS YOU ALL BROTHERS IF THE 2 WHEELS.

PLEASE ANY GOOD SUGGESTION WILL WORK,. I COULD DO IT MYSELF IF I KNEW WHAT TO LOOK FOR, HOW TO REPLACE IT, AND HOW TO REBUILD THE SHOCKS AND OR AIR PUMP.

SINCERELY
YOUR BROTHER GOLDWINGER

ARMANDO
(SILVEREAGLE355)

SILVEREAGLE

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Electrical and air shocks problem

Post by virgilmobile »

I'm sure someone can help...I do know about electrical stuff..What electric problems do you have?
Are you trying to restore the air suspension and the rest of the bike to original or just get it to run down the road?
Some who have expensive repairs with air suspension do simply cut them loose and put in regular shocks like the 1100 have.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

virgilmobile wrote:I'm sure someone can help...I do know about electrical stuff.. What electric problems do you have?
Are you trying to restore the air suspension and the rest of the bike to original or just get it to run down the road?
Some who have expensive repairs with air suspension do simply cut them loose and put in regular shocks like the 1100 have.
Or fit a Schrader Valve and nix the onboard. An air leak could easily be in the switching valve assembly ... not just in the shocks.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

I thank you for your input, I really appreciate It. I just wish I had the money to take it to a shop that knows what they are doing, but I'm willing to do it myself because motorcycle mechanics are expensive. I want to repair it to work the way it's supposed to. As for the electrical, something is draining the battery and the computer would stay on. I think that​ in the change from stator to alternator the prior owner made a mistake in wiring.

Armando
(SILVEREAGLE355)
SILVEREAGLE

LeMaitre
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade
1975 CB550F Super Sport

Post by LeMaitre »

The parasitic drain can be temporarily dealt with by 1. Disconnecting the ground from the battery between rides or 2. Getting an inexpensive trickle charger from Harbor Freight, with the right coupon less than ten dollars.

I have an '85 GL1200A recently purchased that has a parasitic drain. The culprit on my bike is the clock.

-Mark
1985 GL1200A, MN SS1K
1975 CB550F, Lake Superior SS1K, 45-90 SS1K, All in Yooper SS1K

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

SILVEREAGLE355 wrote:I thank you for your input, I really appreciate It. I just wish I had the money to take it to a shop that knows what they are doing, but I'm willing to do it myself because motorcycle mechanics are expensive. I want to repair it to work the way it's supposed to. As for the electrical, something is draining the battery and the computer would stay on. I think that​ in the change from stator to alternator the prior owner made a mistake in wiring.

Armando
(SILVEREAGLE355)
the conversion to alternator would have been done because the stator is toast, so converting it back would be hugely expensive. I'm no electrical guru, but I cant see how the alternator could be causing a parasite draw and discharge when not in operation. if the igniter wire is wired to the acc terminals and the key is left in acc instead of off maybe it could but other than than that the alt. is totally inert unless the pulley is moving.

I think your excessive parasite draw lies elsewhere other than the alt. however if you wish to check the wiring for the alt there are usually two wires, a thin one should by connected to ignition,(usually the acc terminals at the top of the fuse box positive. and the main thick wire goes to either positive on the battery, or positive on the starter solenoid.

good luck

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

Thank you both for the input on the electrical. Hope I can find the problem. Now what's left is the air shocks, can they be rebuilt and how do I check if the compressor is leaking air?
SILVEREAGLE

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Did the alt conversion on my '85 LTD last June and no issues so far. Using an alt that has the 3 wire hook-up versus a single wire. Which hook up do you have? If there is a parasitic power drain through the alternator, you can put it on an relay so that power is only provided to the alternator when the key is on.

The air shocks can be rebuilt and barring this there are good aftermarket standard spring shocks that will do the trick. I have progressive shocks on the rear of my bike but there are less expensive choices out there. Most times when you call up standard non-air shocks that are 14.25" eye to eye it comes up as not for the LTD; however, these will fit nicely. There are tutorials on the various forums and some innovative parts interchanging such as the dust boots at approximately $10.00 USD for a pair from Rancho shocks that fit.

Will do some checking to see what I have been collecting information wise.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

Thank you soooo much for that information, God Bless all who have replied to my concerns.
SILVEREAGLE

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rzaugg »

SILVEREAGLE355 wrote:Thank you both for the input on the electrical. Hope I can find the problem. Now what's left is the air shocks, can they be rebuilt and how do I check if the compressor is leaking air?

Get yourself a spray bottle with water and dish soap in it. Just enough soap that when you spray it on the hose connections/hoses, etc. it will bubble like crazy. Take the right storage compartment out and you can get to most of what you need to check.

SILVEREAGLE355

Post by SILVEREAGLE355 »

Thank you for that information, I will try it and see. God Bless

SILVEREAGLE