weep hole

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

weep hole

Post by walker70 »

Hi,got my bike running no problems until I noticed some oil that seems to be coming out of the water pump weep hole,now I have replaced the orings on the pump and all others on the front cover as well as the paper gasket,no oil or coolant are mixing together,also have changed the front cover with one off my parts bike so that cleared up the leak that was happening with the first cover,what I'm wondering is that when I put the water pump in the other cover even tho the orings for the pump were new should I maybe have needed to put newer orings it on even tho the ones I put on it were only a few months old. :)

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Re: weep hole

Post by walker70 »

Just curious,this is the pump off my parts bike,can the seals on these be replaced or when I need one do I just buy a new pump,again this off my parts bike so not worried about it,I know the rubber part of the seal on one side fell apart when I touched it,good thing my running bike has a good pump. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: weep hole

Post by WingAdmin »

There are those who have successfully disassembled the water pumps and managed to replace the seals.

However...the normal cause of seal failure is excess free play of the shaft due to worn bearings - so you should really replace the bearings as well.

Replacing the bearings, finding and replacing the seals, to me I'll just buy a brand new water pump (and that's exactly what I did).