I saved a bundle today - and not with GEICO

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

I saved a bundle today - and not with GEICO

Post by rcgreg »

A few weeks ago I decided to get back to riding. Previous I had an 84 Aspencade - great bike drove it all over the West of Canada - nevr let me down - always ran great. A car accident left my back in poor shape and I sold it - bad move - my back took years - but recovered. So then I got an 84 Interstate - bad move - it was a mish mash of parts that didn't seem to want to work together no matter what I spent on it. Sold it too. Then I got a BMW K75 - delightful little run about - smooth - powerful - and too small. Sold that and let a couple of years go by. Saw an ad for 1985 GL1200 Limited price was ridiculously low - so I went to see it. It had a few obvious problems - rear tire was shot - radio only worked on left channel - but damm it looked good. A quick check showed all the instruments worked - battery was toast of course but a quick boost and it roared to life. No bends in the frame - no cracks in the plastic - seat looked worn - but was very comfortable. Much better feel than the Interstate. So I bought it. New tire and new battery later - finally got to take it for a decent ride. The voltmeter began it's tale of woe. Fluctuated all over the place from 11.3 to 13.3 - turning on the signal lights darn near killed the bike. hen the fan came on the voltmeter dived. When the air ride leveled it darn near died.
Nursing the bike home I began to think of the options - obviously there was a problem with the charging circuits. The GL1200 does not have a stellar reputation for stator life so I spent the evening looking at alternator options. All looked doable - various levels of expense - all would take time to do and some monkey wrenching. Those that know me, know I usually break more than I fix. A perusal of article on this board lead me decide to check the regulator - easy to do, and I had all the meters etc. I didn't check the stator plug - because there was no stator plug. The previous owner told me he had done the stator fix. so while I had the regulator unplugged, I decided to do the continuity check on the stator wires now exposed. First thing I noticed is that the wiring was not the same as the book said. In addition to a large regulator plug with one of the yellow wires, there was a separate one with two yellow wires. Lots of room in the big plug for those two wires - I wonder why they didn't put them there?
Anyway, the two wires on the little plug passed the tests, the yellow one on the big plug was dead. My thinking at this point was that one of the stator coils had burned out - and that would explain the marginal voltage I was seeing. On a hunch I decided to trace that wire and see if it was broken. This led me to the 'fix' the PO had done To by pass the old connector, he had spliced in a section of wire instead of jut joining the end where the connectors would have been removed. So that introduced another set of connections. The first set was well done - good soldering job and well insulated with heat shrink. The next set of joints was bulky and one wire was cooked. I pulled on it and out it came. Cutting away the blob of tape there revealed the connections had been made with inline squeeze connectors - probably one step up from twisting the wire ends together and just taping them in terms of reliability.
So off came those connectors - out came the soldering gun and heat shrink and those connections were replaced - but before I did that I tested the stator with the ohm meter and bingo - it passed !!! After soldering and insulating the connections I rechecked the regulator end and Hooray - the connection there was solid. A little dspray of DE-OXIT and the connector block was clean as a whistle.

After reassembly I took the bike for a spin - voltmeter now solid at 13.6 - climbing to 14.0 as the battery charged up. This winter I will rewire that bit direct to the regulator and eliminate one set of connections entirely.

So Today I saved a bundle - no need to replace the stator at all. The ride was great, the cruise control works, the computer works, the gauges all work, oil temp and pressure are normal, water temp normal, auto fan switch works and it is more powerful and just as smooth as the BMW if not better. A new seat cover and fixing the dead right channel on the radio are next - along with installing the Cb and 2 Meter radios.

Life is good today.

runnerme
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate, 2008 V Star 1100 custom (Sold)

Re: I saved a bundle today - and not with GEICO

Post by runnerme »

Nice!!! Good find and fix. Always nice to save some coin eh?

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Yup !
Especially if you live in Winnipeg ! Those anti-aircraft shells for mosquitoes are expensive. :)

I used to live on Ubique Crescent in the last Century - still have relatives there.

Are the Salisbury Houses still open?

runnerme

Post by runnerme »

Ubique.. You in the Forces? Sals fer shur. Two fer Tuesdays now. Skeets are as fierce as ever.

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Dad was Army, I wad Air Force, loved the Sals - no two fers when I was there though - Hope the spring leaves you dry this year.

runnerme

Post by runnerme »

Spring's been dry this year. No flooding for a change. Getting good miles in so far. Hope yours is good too

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Finally getting some good weather, spring is about 2 months late - usually get rain mid Jan - this year snowing till end of March.
But the bike is running good, the sun is warm and the drive along the East side of Kootenay lake is fantastic with many a winding turn.
Still snow in the passes though.
Have a great summer.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Once you get all the work/maintenance done you will enjoy the LTD. I have a preference for fuel injected bikes. Glad to hear you found your issue with the charging system.

Do you have the manuals for the bike? PM me with your email and I can send some to you via wetransfer or mybigfile if you would like.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

I have the clymer manual, the Honda service manual and the Honda LTD supplement. The supplement is mainly engine related. Also have the owners manual for the LTD.
Thanks for the offer ! I don't have the CB or the radio manuals if there is such a thing.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

You should also have the electrical troubleshooting manual. Have this electronically as well. Let me know.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest