Battery or something else

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Newwinger1331
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LE

Battery or something else

Post by Newwinger1331 »

Just bought an '85 wing limited. Couldn't get it started before purchasing, even with a battery charger. Rolled the bike in 2nd gear and popped the clutch, and the tire didn't drag, so I'm assuming the motor spin freely. The battery puts out 13 volts, but when start is pressed, it drops to 6 volts. Also does this with the charger hooked directly to the cables, disconnected from the battery. Also the dash flashes and shows 3500 rpm' s.
I'm assuming the fuel pump works, as when the gas cap is removed, there is pressure behind it, and when the key is turned on you can hear the cooling fan on.
Any ideas?

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Battery or something else

Post by rzaugg »

I would say you have more than one problem going on. I am not that familiar with the Limited, but I would assume that the fan shouldn't come on unless it is at the temp that it is supposed to come on. Also the fuel pump does not pressure up the tank, it pressures up the lines going to the injectors. Pressure in the tank is not a sign of something wrong, just not a verification that the fuel pump is working.

I would get a new battery in it and start tackling issues one at a time. Clean all grounds that you can find, especially the main ground cable where it attaches to the motor. A battery that has just been charged can easily show you 13 volts on a meter, but if the amperage potential is not there, it will not crank the engine

Good Luck

Newwinger1331
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200LE

Re: Battery or something else

Post by Newwinger1331 »

rzaugg wrote:I would say you have more than one problem going on. I am not that familiar with the Limited, but I would assume that the fan shouldn't come on unless it is at the temp that it is supposed to come on. Also the fuel pump does not pressure up the tank, it pressures up the lines going to the injectors. Pressure in the tank is not a sign of something wrong, just not a verification that the fuel pump is working.

I would get a new battery in it and start tackling issues one at a time. Clean all grounds that you can find, especially the main ground cable where it attaches to the motor. A battery that has just been charged can easily show you 13 volts on a meter, but if the amperage potential is not there, it will not crank the engine

Good Luck
Replaced the battery, problem #1 solved, still wouldn't crank though. Although when hitting start, thrashed stopped flashing. And fan still comes on. That one might be easy, as it could just be a temp switch.
Removed the starter, and jumped it to the good battery, wouldn't spin a lick. Tackling that problem now.