New to me gl1200. Couple questions.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Jeff stull
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

New to me gl1200. Couple questions.

Post by Jeff stull »

Got a new toy. 1985 aspencade 105,000 miles. I can tell someone had done some work to it but I do not have a history in the bike. Fork seals are leaking and I just made a call to old bike barn to order everything I may need to replace them. I am going to do it with the forks in the bike. I read that there are different springs that can be put in the forks"progressive" that call for different quantity/weight oil. Someone has already replaced the rear air shocks with a spring version so I am suspicious that mayby the springs in the front forks may have been changed as well. Any way to tell? Second question is there are several other areas of the bike that have been tinkered with. Also my speedometer seems to be about 5mph off from actual speed. Any thoughts? Anyone close to Athens Ohio that would be willing to give her a good look to see if there is anything else I should be fixing? A hand with the forks would also be welcomed. I am quite mechanically inclined and in no way afraid to tear into it but experts with experience are invaluable. Thanks.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 HPNA (Grey Ghost)
1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: New to me gl1200. Couple questions.

Post by MiWinger51 »

I have been looking at putting these on my 1200 Aspencade. Right now i'm looking to sell it. If it doesn't sell soon these will be going on it. From all I've heard the change in handling is dramatic. http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1200_ ... /114/19833
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Jeff stull
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade

Post by Jeff stull »

Well seems as I have fixed the radio low volume issue. While trouble shooting I pulled a fuse to check it and presto. Put it back in and low volume. Pull it and al is right with the world. 7.5 amp fuse in a factory holder under the left faring pocket. Can't seem to load a photo from my phone. Sorry.

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1979 GL1000K Craig Vetter Edition
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing

Post by 1979wing »

Just picked up a new to me '84 Aspy. Now, like any healthy bird, I have two Wings. My 79, which seems to be finicky, and not as trustworthy as I would have hoped, and now my 84, which is safetied and tuned, lots of storage, etc.....

I wonder if anyone has an extra Panasonic radio/cassette unit they would part with. It seems a knob and a button cover or two got gnawed off by a mentally unstable chipmunk (Alvin?), and the radio display is not working.
Anyone?
Beuhler?

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 2006 GL 1800 HPNA (Grey Ghost)
1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Post by MiWinger51 »

[quote="Jeff stull"]Got a new toy. 1985 aspencade 105,000 miles. I can tell someone had done some work to it but I do not have a history in the bike. Fork seals are leaking and I just made a call to old bike barn to order everything I may need to replace them. I am going to do it with the forks in the bike. I read that there are different springs that can be put in the forks"progressive" that call for different quantity/weight oil. Someone has already replaced the rear air shocks with a spring version so I am suspicious that mayby the springs in the front forks may have been changed as well. Any way to tell? Second question is there are several other areas of the bike that have been tinkered with. Also my speedometer seems to be about 5mph off from actual speed. Any thoughts?
I have an 87 Aspencade with the same issue. Mine always read about 8% above my actual speed. I have adjusted to it.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

I just made a call to old bike barn to order everything I may need to replace them. I am going to do it with the forks in the bike. I read that there are different springs that can be put in the forks"progressive" that call for different quantity/weight oil.

I'm not sure how you are going to replace the seals without removing the fork tubes, the way to tell if the fronts are progressive is the stock springs have 2 springs each fork tube and progressive is just one spring per fork tube, if you have or install progressives you will want to go to a lighter oil. ATF works good but if it's fork oil you want then 10 or 15 wt is common but the 15 might be a little rough ride

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

AJ said :
<< I am going to do it with the forks in the bike.>>

well... I asked about that on another GoldWing Site : The Video I refereed to looked very good !!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... k-oil.html

.....But two replies from a very good mechanic are of note :

Ken Bergen said : <<If you can raise the lower leg like he does at about 2:30 with the spring and cap in place you're a better man than me. >>

and later on Ken said : <<If you're going to try that method pick a warm dry day so that I can come watch.>>

LOL

LOL

I took his advice , and totally removed the forks ..

If you can buy ( or make ) a 6 mm "stubby " allen key , and have a(smaller ) in-lb torque wrench , re and re is not all that bad ..
Working space is VERY restricted, and you are working blind, so tiny hands , good visualization skills and loosening one allen key at a time and they will come out easily...

SilverDave

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Check Progressives install sheet. If you have their springs, I'd read these.

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Post by aj1500 »

OK that method would work, when I had mine down to do the progressive springs and new seals the allen screw in the bottom just spun with the inner part, it would not come apart for me. maybe if I had an air impact I could have got it loose.
good luck, I hope it works for you