Is poorboy still selling the alternator setup?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Edgelv
Motorcycle: 06 Stratoliner, 75 iron head XlCH, 77 cb750 Amen savior chopper, and hopefully a 82 gl1100 interstate

Is poorboy still selling the alternator setup?

Post by Edgelv »

Well mainly what the title says Is poorboy still selling the alternator setup?I have a 87 trikev I believe is bad so someone even put a second battery under the seat weird I know so I want to do the poor boy set up anyone know if he's still selling them and such? I emailed him but know answer yet or does anyone have an alternate contact for him? Thanks guys Rob

Saintjude33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

Re: Is poorboy still selling the alternator setup?

Post by Saintjude33 »

He is, but he's a bit delayed on some replies. I just got mine about 3-4 weeks ago, and it took a while to get it fully in. I recommend if you have the scratch, get the full kit. Also, read every single take on the setup- there are some great hints and cheats to make it smoother.

Edgelv
Motorcycle: 06 Stratoliner, 75 iron head XlCH, 77 cb750 Amen savior chopper, and hopefully a 82 gl1100 interstate

Post by Edgelv »

Ya he got back to me seems like a great guy also

mr2percent
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Goldwing

Post by mr2percent »

What is the purpose of the poorboy conversion? It seems like it takes just as long and cost much more than a stator.

Edgelv

Post by Edgelv »

There are several reasons 1 the failure rates of stators (could last a month could last a couple years hard to say but failed stators are well known), 2 the cost of labor to replace the stator usually 12hrs minimum, 3, increased charging capacity I believe 40amps vs 55 with the alternator so it's easier to run extra lights or what ever else you choose, 4 if the alternator dies it's easier to change on the road being down a few hours to change vs a few day for the stator. And reliability

Andoron
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate GL1200i 42000 miles

Post by Andoron »

Hi,

You can use any 4" diameter alternator that is one wire actuated for ease of installation.,

Mine is 70 amp.

Two seasons and no issues. It still cranking 14+ volts and I run a trailer with no notice of any of the extra lights including the two extra headlights I just for fog lights.

So,

No problem Just go to junk yard find old cars and take the alternator brackets.

Flat with downturned bolt hole for top. Add a bolt slide for top of alternator.

I used an offset Bracket from the hardware store for the bottom.

You of course need to get a bigger crank bolt and a 4 1/2 pulley with spacers to just clear covers you have put a hole in for bolt.

Do not believe when they say cut the heck out of the fan bracket, just bend in till the fan just barely clears radiator.

You may have to grind a little on the bottom to clear the pulley.

For the bottom radiator clearance you just use bolt couplings and studs to increase length. Don't forget to add nuts to lock in place.

You will have to modify the lower body piece of the radiator, but nothing else as far as body parts. It all fits inside the faring.

Total cost around $200 to $300 dollars depending on alternator cost. As far as the alternator a mini Chevy racing alternator should

work.

I just picked up an real nice 87 Gl1200 I will do the same to . Bought it for $300 so with alternator should be worth at least $2000 I'm

hoping.

Regards,

Andoron

Proud owner of 1984 GL1200I with 42000 on it
Andoron
!984 Interstate 1987 Interstate

Edgelv

Post by Edgelv »

Andoron wrote:Hi,

You can use any 4" diameter alternator that is one wire actuated for ease of installation.,

Mine is 70 amp.

Two seasons and no issues. It still cranking 14+ volts and I run a trailer with no notice of any of the extra lights including the two extra headlights I just for fog lights.

So,

No problem Just go to junk yard find old cars and take the alternator brackets.

Flat with downturned bolt hole for top. Add a bolt slide for top of alternator.

I used an offset Bracket from the hardware store for the bottom.

You of course need to get a bigger crank bolt and a 4 1/2 pulley with spacers to just clear covers you have put a hole in for bolt.

Do not believe when they say cut the heck out of the fan bracket, just bend in till the fan just barely clears radiator.

You may have to grind a little on the bottom to clear the pulley.

For the bottom radiator clearance you just use bolt couplings and studs to increase length. Don't forget to add nuts to lock in place.

You will have to modify the lower body piece of the radiator, but nothing else as far as body parts. It all fits inside the faring.

Total cost around $200 to $300 dollars depending on alternator cost. As far as the alternator a mini Chevy racing alternator should

work.

I just picked up an real nice 87 Gl1200 I will do the same to . Bought it for $300 so with alternator should be worth at least $2000 I'm

hoping.

Regards,

Andoron

Proud owner of 1984 GL1200I with 42000 on it
So If I might ask what alternator are you using? The junkyard​ one or the mini racing Chevy one? I have the one that came with the poorboy conversion