Deceleration popping

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Deceleration popping

Post by walker70 »

Hi,I'm sure I have seen a post on here about this but can't find it,anyway my wing has an occasional popping sound coming from midway of the right muffler,it doesn't do it all the time,was wondering if someone has this same issue and if it is anything to worry about,by the way all muffler gaskets with the exception of the copper orings have been replaced,that may be the problem but not sure. :o

walker70

Re: Deceleration popping

Post by walker70 »

Well,I figured out what was making the popping on deceleration,about a week ago I bought gas at a station I don't usually buy from and it had trash in it,thought I had blown it out but #2 and#4 carbs started flooding so I have the carbs off and will have to clean and adjust that way. :twisted:

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

I'm NOT sure if I have an answer or not, but I think you're on the right path. Generally the decel pop is from a lean fuel condition. The trash may have partially blocked the(a) idle jet(s) resulting in the 'lean' condition. Lean condition may also be caused by a leaky intake. A way to test for this is to spray a combustible material at the intake connections to change the idle speed. If idle changes when a connection is sprayed, it's leaking. You also want to be VERY CAREFUL where you are spraying a combustible material, think EXPLOSION! I've used WD-40 with success.

Good luck
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Yeah,I think that is what happened cause the #2 and#4 plugs were black while the#1 and #3 were light gray to tan which is what they are supposed to be,already checked for intake leaks so I'm thinking like you that it is clogged idle jets :)

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

julimike54 wrote:I'm NOT sure if I have an answer or not, but I think you're on the right path. Generally the decel pop is from a lean fuel condition. The trash may have partially blocked the(a) idle jet(s) resulting in the 'lean' condition. Lean condition may also be caused by a leaky intake. A way to test for this is to spray a combustible material at the intake connections to change the idle speed. If idle changes when a connection is sprayed, it's leaking. You also want to be VERY CAREFUL where you are spraying a combustible material, think EXPLOSION! I've used WD-40 with success.

Good luck
Better idea for leak checking, Thanks ekvh!
ekvh wrote:If the linkage is returning to the stops, that rules out sticky cables and tubes. The 1200's also have a starter valve instead of a choke. It opens to allow extra fuel to be drawn in by vacuum much like an additional jet. Sometimes the valves can stick. The valve actuating mechanism runs horizontally on the outside part of the carb. They are held in place by a black plastic locknut with a hole through it for the starter valve. Check to see that it is freely returning to its closed position.

If this is the issue, they can be removed and cleaned. Pay attention to the spring and small stainless steel washer. The washer can drop and garage monkeys love to eat them.

I had one that would hang open enough to cause the issue.

Your description sounds also like a vacuum leak. You can wave an unlit propane torch around the elbows and carb to locate it/them while at idle. If you have a leak, the vacuum will pull the propane in and cause the motor to rev up some.

It's easy to have a rubber elbow to leak due to a clamp too loose.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

walker70

Post by walker70 »

Have cleaned the carbs and gotten them back on the bike,ran rough when I first started it but it smoothed out after a few minutes,got to operating temp then synced them,so far so good,I did check the starter valves and they move freely and also cleaned out the carb bowls and sprayed everything with carb cleaner making sure not to hit any of the rubber parts since as we all know carb cleaner can mess up rubber on the carbs,keeping my fingers crossed. :D