air filter housing screws

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
bernyboy
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

air filter housing screws

Post by bernyboy »

I have a 1984 Standard. I have to replace the throttle cables. In order to do that I need to remove the air filter housing. When I tried to remove it, one of the four screws backed out nicely. The other three spin but do not loosen up at all. I believe the screws are threaded into metal sleeves that are molded into the underlying plastic part and I think the screws were over-tightened by a previous owner and broke those sleeves loose from the surrounding plastic. Am I right about the metal sleeves? Has anyone dealt with this situation? Any suggestions? I am going to try prying under the screw heads with a small pry bar while reversing the screws, but I need to get an appropriate bar. Also, any suggestions for re-securing the metal sleeves if/when I do get down to them?
I know I might be able to find a way to change the cables without removing the air filter housing, but for now I want to try to sort this problem out.

Saintjude33
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade with sidecar
1989 Yamaha XV250 Virago, Route 66 model

Re: air filter housing screws

Post by Saintjude33 »

If it has threaded sleeves that were overtightened and they broke free, you should be able to lift the cover off without having to loosen them, unless they are recessed and the plastic is molded over them. Or you can put pressure like you said so they have something to cause friction and allow them to be backed out.

bernyboy

Post by bernyboy »

Yeah, I don't know exactly what the situation is under there and I don't want to make things worse. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to expect. It won't just lift up now.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Been there, done that & didn't get a t'shirt :( Check the following posts (from another forum)

This is the 'how does everybody think it should be repaired' link
http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewt ... =24&t=9376

This post about half way down, in Post #55, explains how I repaired and why I chose what I did.
http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewt ... 80#p147580

If you need more, post away, good luck.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

bernyboy

Post by bernyboy »

So I have not been able to get the air filter housing off, but I wanted to ride. I had to find another way to change out the throttle cables. Access at the bottom end was the problem. Looking at it I thought I saw another way. I removed the cable holding bracket, mounted the cables to it, and then reinstalled the bracket and proceeded with fitting the cable ends into the throttle bell crank.It worked out very well, with the use of a long needle-nose pliers.Then I fitted the other ends of the cables at the throttle handle and checked adjustments. Now I'm back riding. I may still have to deal with the screw issue and removing the air filter housing some time but I have bought some time while the sun is shining.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

I've fixed this fairly easily by taking a small torch and heating the screw/metal enough that it softens and almost melts the plastic in which it is embedded. Then let it cool, and try again.

bernyboy

Post by bernyboy »

That sounds interesting and viable, but I would be a little nervous about using a torch in there myself. I'm sure it must be a fine pencil torch, but isn't there still a concern with vapors? What about heating the screw with a soldering gun? Do you think that would work as well?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

bernyboy wrote:That sounds interesting and viable, but I would be a little nervous about using a torch in there myself. I'm sure it must be a fine pencil torch, but isn't there still a concern with vapors? What about heating the screw with a soldering gun? Do you think that would work as well?
You could I suppose if it could produce enough heat - maybe a soldering gun instead of an iron? I did it using a very small butane torch, and it worked very well.

bernyboy

Post by bernyboy »

Thanks. I believe I will try that at some point. It would be nice to be able to practice it on something else first.

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 »

In my case I took my drill and carefully drilled the bolt head until the cover came off,then I used j-b weld on the insert to lock it in place,have had no problems since. :D