Rough ride front end

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
demon00
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 interstate

Rough ride front end

Post by demon00 »

OK I did front fork seals on my 1987 GL1200 I, I don't think I put air back in it,now I ride and it feel really rough feeling kinda like u can feel the road , if that makes sense. I've checked and the bearings seem fine, no tire wiggle, would the air ride be causing this ? if it is can I use my air compressor to put air in . How much should I use, Thanks really confused

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Rough ride front end

Post by julimike54 »

I may shed light, but need info. You did the fork seals, did you change the fluid? If so did you get it completely drained and put the proper measured amount? Too much can impact handling quality. Just as too much air can affect the handling. The maximum air psi is 6, I run about 3, but mine may not have the same springs or weight of oil, both impact how the bike 'feels'. You can run zero pressure also. Some where it seems I read that suspension air adjustments be made with a hand pump. Another bike I have has air and that's how I adjust it, no built in compressor, with a small hand pump, like for filling sports equipment.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

demon00

Post by demon00 »

I might try the hand pump , I changed the fluid in both, by the book . I did have to let out all the air and wondered if it needed air to operate the right way.. it's kinda like u feel the road, make sense??

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

trac system might need checking to see if they are the same on both forks, when replacing oil did you turn the trac system to ensure the oil got down into the channels?

demon00

Post by demon00 »

Have a pic of trac system ?? Think but not sure

oldishwinger

Post by oldishwinger »

demon00 wrote:Have a pic of trac system ?? Think but not sure
the trac system is on the bottom of each fork, it has a screw that can be turned and is numbered from 1 to 4 the screw has a dot on it, and this should be lined up with a number being the same on both forks, 1 being the softest and allowing more fork travel and 4 allowing less travel. when changing the oil, this should be turned through each number to allow the oil to reach each channel.

the trac system is meant to allow you to control the travel of forks under braking however I've found it can also effect the ride some what as well. sorry no pics

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Red arrow shows adjustment 1-4

pic of TRAC area
Mike

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Since you took the forks apart, you may want to review the instructions I've attached. You will find out if it has been converted to a Progressive Suspension front springs. If it has been changed out, the information in the service manual will not work per the instructions. Please review, you could have overfilled the forks.

Mike

demon00

Post by demon00 »

Oh ok I'm gonna have to fun through this numbers

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

By the way, easy way to see if TRAC is impacting the ride. Set 4, ride, then set on 1, ride, see if there is a change! 2 rides, easy peasy. If it changes the ride, then the other 2 settings. By the way, note oil recommendation on PG springs.
Mike

demon00

Post by demon00 »

Sorry I was in a hurry on that last reply, I don't remember running through the teacher numbers when I did the fork seals , I'm gonna have to check them now, I'm really thinking I may have to do the bearings, just because it feels rough, unless there's not enough fluid in the forks , only way to explain it is road noise, u don't hear anything but feel everything

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Post by grand rouge »

What weight fork oil are you using?

A few months ago I replaced fork seals and wipers, bushings etc. Progressive Springs installed. Recommended 15 Wt. oil installed. Rode really rough. Drained and refilled with 10 Wt. Night and day. Smooth and supple.
A pleasure to ride even on the crumbling California roads. Sheesh.

oldishwinger

Post by oldishwinger »

grand rouge wrote:What weight fork oil are you using?

A few months ago I replaced fork seals and wipers, bushings etc. Progressive Springs installed. Recommended 15 Wt. oil installed. Rode really rough. Drained and refilled with 10 Wt. Night and day. Smooth and supple.
A pleasure to ride even on the crumbling California roads. Sheesh.
yep totally agree with you 15w for me with progressives was way too heavy, and I also changed back to ATF About 5W I think, and its been great

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Juliemike54,
It's okay to post helpful pictures and advice to fix these old girls up, but please refrain from using pics with shiny beautiful looking front forks and rims. They make me feel guilty and want to go polish mine ----again! LOL

demon00

Post by demon00 »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I know right lol

julimike54
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

Its only taken 30 odd years to make them look that way. Thank you. By the way, in the instructions it states GL1200s start with 20wt oil. That's what I did and re-tuned the TRAC, it handles like a sport bike (when I'm solo :roll: ), but compliant. The TRAC can change the performance.
Mike

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by walker70 »

I just rebuilt the forks on my 1200 and it like has been said on here there is a night and day difference in the handing and ride,I replaced all seals but my bushings were in remarkably great shape,before rebuild it would lose air in the system and the right seal was leaking,now everything is like new,and the trac system is great on my wing,had an 84 Nighthawk700sc with trac on it plus front air suspension and it was one smooth ride. :D

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

i had the same feeling on my 86 , checked everything including changing wheel brgs. found the neck brgs. were way to loose , i could feel every stone and small crack the front wheel went over . ended up changing neck brgs. and tightened up as specs and totally different ride , it even seemed to have a rattly sound when going over small stones etc. these front ends with minimal rake and loose neck brgs. also seem to encourage the low speed wobble . There is also a relief in the bottom of the forks that by passes shock pressure when braking should the wheel hit a pothole etc that also will make the front end rough and overly firm if not assembled proper ,just saying . good luck

demon00

Post by demon00 »

brgs.? Not sure, think u mean the brackets? The ones holding the wheel on ?

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

No I mean the neck brgs. Where the front fork assembly pivots in the frame . 2 tapered roller brgs ,, critical to good front end performance , you either need a shop manual or download what you need from this forum . I would bet they have never been re torqued or changed for that matter . But since you mentioned it check the caps that bold the front Axel in position and see if the arrows on each cap are on their outside and pointing ahead . The caps are cut on a couple deg. Taper and can make the wheel assembly off a tad , but doubt that is your problem . Try retorquing neck brgs. You won't regret it . If the brgs. Feel rough at all replace them with new, they are readily available and relatively cheap to buy . It will feel and handled like a dream .