Running to rich and hydrolocked

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Edgelv
Motorcycle: 06 Stratoliner, 75 iron head XlCH, 77 cb750 Amen savior chopper, and hopefully a 82 gl1100 interstate

Running to rich and hydrolocked

Post by Edgelv »

Ok guys I'm learning​ as I go (on wings not inexperienced by any means) and I've done so much reading my head is spinning and about to explode so here's where I'm at. I have a 87 gl1200 trike starts right up revs great but extremely rich, I mean burn your eyes while in the garage with all doors open and a stiff wind rich. when I Rev I get a little backfiring I changed the exhaust because the gaskets between head pipes where shot and it came with a brand new Jardine exhaust and sounds great. I rebuilt the carbs with the randakk kit with the book set float height at 7.52mm ( was as close as I could get my calipers) with the carbs tilted so the float was barely touching the nipple. I synced the carbs and idle screws are at 1¾ turns out I'm thinking about changing the float needles can I get away with just needles or should I do the seats as well? Do you think this will help? HELP I need to get this going asap and IF ANYONE IS FROM THE WESTERN NY AREA and would like to come look and give me an idea that would be greatly appreciated and and beverages provided lol
Attachments

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Running to rich and hydrolocked

Post by ekvh »

Are your choke/cold start valves closing? Operate the choke lever and note the moving brass pieces. Are they all going back in when the lever is pushed off?

Next guess is floats and seats

Edgelv
Motorcycle: 06 Stratoliner, 75 iron head XlCH, 77 cb750 Amen savior chopper, and hopefully a 82 gl1100 interstate

Post by Edgelv »

No they're closing completely I started now it's not back firing as bad took down the rd and it scoots pretty good but clutch seems to be gripping slow but bights good ones it does lol the rich running seems intermittent I'm thinking because battery was low causing weak spark? The stator is bad waiting for poorboy kit to arrive but still don't explain the hydrolock but hasn't done it since just weird you know?

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

Your title has hydro locked in it but you didn't elaborate or I'm reading too fast. Don't mess with hydro lock situations. I learned the hard way, lost a good motor to a bent rod. I shut the fuel off all the time now and flip the kill switch on and bump the starter a little before starting it now.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Just checked an electronic copy of the 1200 Aspencade Owner's Manual. Checked the info on the fuel valve and the manual recommends shutting the fuel valve off when not in use, only in the On position when the bike is operating.

Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest