Balancing beads

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Balancing beads

Post by Mountain rider »

My new to me 86 Aspencade was pretty much road ready when I got it, but I tend to be somewhat anal about having things right before I jump on and ride. The tires are good, but are showing some age, so I decided to replace them before Summer draws me out. I'm looking at a set of Avons, but the local shops are a little spendy when it comes to balancing. I've heard about the small beads that are placed in the tires that pretty much self balance the tire. What are your thoughts? Anything special I should know or do? If these really work as designed, I'm more than capable of mounting my own tires, thus saving a few bucks that could be used for oil changes or fuel.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours - sold - :-)
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Re: Balancing beads

Post by cbx4evr »

I use nothing but beads in my GL1500 and in my KLR 650. I've had great success with them and wouldn't use anything else at this point.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm assuming they work the same as a mercury filled hub on a cop car, centrifugal force throwing additional weight within the tire where it's needed. I'm an old guy, so anything that simplifies my life and actually works is good. ;)
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Dyna Beads or CounterAct beads both work the same and have been used for years in the trucking, off-road and cars for years. I've even been told of people who use golf balls in their off-road tires - you know those big oversize knobby types. I have used CounterAct beads in my 1800 tires. Putting those small sticky lead weights on a good pair of chrome mags just doesn't seem right.

Another product to consider is Ride-On tire sealant and balancing liquid. Used this in my front 1800 tire after a recommendation. Prefer the Ride-On product over the bead technology. It has the added benefit of being a puncture sealant as well. Check out the company's web site as well. There are options out there.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

Just a note: You cannot use balance beads in tires with tubes. This is from Dyna Beads Owner. I do not know if older Goldwings were tubed or not, so I just thought a word to the wise would be good.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

1200s are tubeless, beads, or the balancing compound from Ride-On will work well.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours - sold - :-)
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr »

themainviking wrote:Just a note: You cannot use balance beads in tires with tubes. This is from Dyna Beads Owner. I do not know if older Goldwings were tubed or not, so I just thought a word to the wise would be good.

Where are you getting your info from??

On the DynaBeads website the question is; "Can I use Dyna Beads....in motorcycle tires with tubes?"

Reply is: A: Absolutely! As a precaution, we strongly suggest a new tube with a new Dyna Beads application to avoid the problems of compressor oil accumulating on the inside over time. It turns gummy and the beads will stick to it.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

I've used beads in my KLR 650, tubed tires, for better than 10 years now and haven't had any problems.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Have a read through this: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1662

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking »

cbx4evr wrote:
themainviking wrote:Just a note: You cannot use balance beads in tires with tubes. This is from Dyna Beads Owner. I do not know if older Goldwings were tubed or not, so I just thought a word to the wise would be good.

Where are you getting your info from??

On the DynaBeads website the question is; "Can I use Dyna Beads....in motorcycle tires with tubes?"

Reply is: A: Absolutely! As a precaution, we strongly suggest a new tube with a new Dyna Beads application to avoid the problems of compressor oil accumulating on the inside over time. It turns gummy and the beads will stick to it.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

I've used beads in my KLR 650, tubed tires, for better than 10 years now and haven't had any problems.
Yes, I see that. When I asked the question, by phone, of the site owner, I got the reply that they should not be used in tubed tires. That was perhaps 8 or 10 years ago. Glad to have been shown to be incorrect in this regard. Thanks CBX.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

I had a Battlax that went cupping. Added the beads and cuping ALMOST disappeared. Beads help smooth out that tire & salvaged K's of miles.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

lovat
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Post by lovat »

Beads are the way to go. I've done this in two different bikes, with very satisfactory results each time.

'86 GL1200 Interstate
Northern Minnesota
KD0UYN