New radio

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

New radio

Post by fcanary »

Thought I'd throw this out to the gurus. I just replaced the radio on my 1200. The previous owner had replaced the stock one with a real POS that didn't hold a station, even when parked, or play a CD. I replaced it with a Kenwood, CD, MP3, AM, FM. I know, real old school. My problem is this. I doubt the wiring that was there is original, but I wired it red to red, yellow to yellow, and black to black, plus the speaker wires as the wiring diagram said. My problem is when ever I shut the bike off, the power shuts down to the radio so it doesn't keep the memory, and then I have to reprogram it each time I start the bike, which is a real pain in the ass. Also, when I lock the handlebars it gets power. It did this with the aftermarket radio he put in but I thought it was such a POS that it may have been the radio it's self. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or an idea where he might have wired it incorrectly? When it plays it sounds great, I just don't want to program it each time I start the bike.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Re: New radio

Post by rcgreg »

The radio memory draws very little current - if you have the wiring diagram from the new one you put in, you should be able to find a wire that is specific to the memory function. Wire that one directly through a fuse to the hot connection in the bike fuse box - or even direct to the battery plus terminal if you can't find it.
If you post the model number etc. of the radio you put in, we can probably give a more specific answer.

fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate
1991 1500 Interstate

Post by fcanary »

I'm sorry, it's a KDC-118. Kenwood. I wired it according to the manual, so that is why I'm figuring the previous owner did something with the wiring.

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg »

The manual says the yellow wire from the RADIO wiring harness should go direct to the battery through a fuse (1 amp should be ok) - that's the memory voltage wire.