floppy mirror syndrome

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

floppy mirror syndrome

Post by rcgreg »

so, your riding along and you glance in your review mirror and see - the foot pegs - cause the mirror has FMS - it won't stay where you put it the last 47 times but shifts all over the place like a tourist in the mountains. Some times up, some times down - never in the right spot. I know they have a ball and joint socket to allow adjustment - but it seems to take only a few rides for that to wear and it becomes impossible to keep it in one spot.

How did you fix this on your bike??

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Re: floppy mirror syndrome

Post by Good Hondog »

The obvious answer is to sell the GL1200 and go buy a GL1100 :lol: Sorry, I just had to say it. Actually try removing the loose mirror from the bike and hold it so the socket is horizontal. Apply a small amount of either green or blue Loctite in the tiny gap around the socket and wiggle and rotate the ball and socket to work the Loctite into the space. Holding the mirror horizontal lets gravity help you get the liquid in between the gap of the moving parts and having it off the bike prevents you from accidentally dripping any Loctite on the fairing paint which would ruin the paint pretty quickly. Wipe off any excess, put it back on the bike, adjust it to your satisfaction, leave it overnight and it will be much tighter but still adjustable and movable if you need it to be changed.

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Ah - I had one - but same problem :)
Will give this a go - can't hurt ;)

Many thanks

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Tried it - and - it seems to be working !
Thanks

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Good Hondog »

Good job Greg. If it ever comes loose again it just means you needed to put a tiny bit more on than you did the first time. It can be redone if you ever need to. Glad I could help. Happy riding!