Brake light stays bright

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
dkdc12
Motorcycle: '85 INTERSTATE, ‘14 AUDIO COMFORT

Brake light stays bright

Post by dkdc12 »

Hello again, my old 1200 has more issues. Now the brake lights stay on when either the foot pedal or front lever is released. I don't think I had this problem before but the rear lights had other issues which I think I fixed. But now this shows up. I did put LED 1157's in and that's when I noticed the lights not dimming back down, I put standard 1157's back in and now they won't dim down either. Could the LED's have caused a problem with the "tail light sensor/relay? Thanks for any info.

JEAN@stevie

injunjoe535
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, 2006 Harley Davidson Road King

Re: Brake light stays bright

Post by injunjoe535 »

I dont think an LED would give you any issues like you describe. More likely one of your brake switches is stuck "open". Disconnect the wires from each one to isolate the front switch and back switch. That should give you a place to start. Try one switch, then the other; dont disconnect them both at the same time.
Joe

dkdc12

Post by dkdc12 »

Thanks. When I turn the bike off and on again the lights then are dim, until I apply either brake again.
JEAN@stevie

dkdc12

Post by dkdc12 »

Hey, figured it out...don't understand but the lights work properly. When I retraced all the wiring I had cleaned up(connections and such) I rememberd that there were three "yellow/green" wires leading to the stop/tail lights. My bike is the Interstate so it required only two; however, these bikes have wiring harnesses which have connections and wires used for upscale bikes not used for my application so when I saw the extra "yellow/green" wire I spliced it into the others figuring there all the same circuit no matter how many brake/stop lights there are. I didn't want to leave that extra wire just loose. Low and behold when I separated that wire again the stop/tail lights worked fine. Like I say I dont understand it being that all three wires go to stop/tail lights. I believe the Aspy's and Limiteds have a center bar light where as the Interstates just have a reflector. Any way thanks for replying.
JEAN@stevie

injunjoe535
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, 2006 Harley Davidson Road King

Post by injunjoe535 »

Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it. Cant tell you how many "Doh!" moments I've had in the past working on so many different types of vehicles. But that's the fun part, keep learning! :D

Joe