85 Limited throttle question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

85 Limited throttle question

Post by rcgreg »

On my Ltd, the range from idle to on is very very short. Cracking the throttle almost always causes the rear wheel to want to spin and it comes on with a thud. I'd like to smooth out that transition - or maybe give it some ! Makes throttling up in corners an adventure as it is ! Anyone had any experience in adjusting such a condition?

Thanks all !

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: 85 Limited throttle question

Post by Rednaxs60 »

This is a good one, I'd like to have more immediate response but don't.

Is this issue once you are moving or just from a stop? If it is when you are moving, I wouldn't think there is a lot that you can do.

If it is from a stop, have you cleaned and synchronized the throttle valves. Clymer manual pages 172 and 173, show how to clean throttle valves and then synchronize them - in the OEM service manual supplement as well.

You mention coming on with a "thud". Do you mean that when you let the clutch out from a dead stop you hear a "thud"?

Aren't these bikes fun. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Lots of fun :) But that's why we love them !
So here is a better description I hope will help
At a stop, advance the throttle just a bit - and I feel the drive thud as the rear wheel starts to engage - lots of power ! The snap your head head back kind of power.
When riding, slow for a corner = in gear - apply just a little throttle - same thing kind of like there's a dead spot in the throttle - then zoom zoom time :)
I'll look at the Clymer manual - I have one and see what I can do.
Other than that - the bike is very smooth, at speed there appears to be a slight amount of hesitation? as if not all cylinders are getting the exact same amount of fuel.
I got this bike this sprint after it sat for 3 years so I suspect there may be an issue with cleanliness. I'm running some seafoam through it with every fill and it seems to have some incremental improvement.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Love that "thud" you are mentioning. Have a small movement in the rear of my bike. Do believe it has to do with backlash in the FD. I also know that you can have this partially if the swing arm bearings are not just right. Maybe look at the swing arm bearings, renew or re-torque IAW. I also find that keeping the RPM a bit higher and slipping the clutch a bit more makes the start a whole lot smoother. FD inspection and calibration for my bike is for this winter coming, too nice to do that type of work now.

I have been keeping the RPM closer to the 3000 RPM mark at all times, closer to the power band, and there is no hesitation when I hit the throttle. I have found it to be a learning curve as these engines are high revving and do not have the low end grunt that the big sister does (1800). I do have a tendency to want to ride at lower RPMs because it sounds more natural, but pay for it in not having good response from the old girl when I would like.

The momentary "dead spot" is probably just before you start hitting the power band for this engine. Keep the RPM up a bit more and you may not have anymore issues.

Check out the cylinder bank synchronization IAW the manuals.

Thinking I might take a run down your way later this summer and test out some of those sweepers I know are in your area.

Safe riding. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

rcgreg

Post by rcgreg »

Yes, syncing the clutch and the throttle helps - along with a touch of rear brake - I call it the FI Dance !
I will do the throttle body cleaning, I noticed a can of throttle body cleaner int he box of stuff I got with the bike, it cam with a complete set of
used pipes as there is a tiny pin hole in one of the exhaust pipes on it - to be fixed next winter.

You have to do the East Kootenay lake ride - not for the speed, but for the view and those turns are fantastic !