Stators

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rd1959
Motorcycle: none

Stators

Post by rd1959 »

Hello all. New member here. I have a question regarding stators used on Goldwings. Do the 1500/1800 models use the same type alternators and do they require engine removal also? There's a 1985 1200 ltd. for sale at a local dealer with 65,000 miles. The bike looks a little rough which makes me think the previous owner might not have taken very good care of it.
My question is do the 1500/1800 models use the same setup where you have to remove the engine to replace the stator? If they use a different setup I might be tempted to wait for a newer model to come up for sale

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Re: Stators

Post by rcgreg »

Yes the 85 Ltd uses the same statot setup as the previous Goldwings, and the newer bikes don't. BUT the 85 LTF has a very solid stator - they are easy to check to see if they work, and eliminating the connectors between the stator and the regulator by soldering the wires will usually alleviate any incipient problems. Another thing - the voltage meter on the 85's had a habit of reading a volt low. - so check it at the battery terminals

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

1500s and 1800s have an external alternator and do not require engine removal but 1200s and older have internal stators and do require engine removal unless you install the poor man's alternator conversion. The 1200s had a problem with the stator connector in front of the battery that, if left as is would get dirt and moisture in them, causing corrosion, bad connectivity, resistance, and possibly even fire, as mine did. If you have one you should solder the three wires together solid with heat shrink tubing to insulate.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I have two '85 LTDs, one on the road and one that may be a spare road bike. Having said that the Limited Edition has a 500 watt stator versus a 350 watt stator for the carb GL1200 models. This is to provide sufficient power to the fuel injection system. You have to remember that the bike is 33 years old and nothing lasts forever; however, having said that, I would not recommend you shy away from buying the '85 LTD if the price is right. The stator as rcgreg mentions is quite substantial and should give lots of years of service. Should it fail there are aftermarket stators and even an alternator modification that has been used successfully on many older Goldwings - have done this myself.

Honda realized that there are issues with stators and went to an external alternator like a car starting with the 1500s. Don't have to remove the engine to address alternator issues on the 1500s.

Having refurbished my '85 LTD and knowing what is possible, I would have the dealer do a stator and regulator/rectifier check for you to determine the health of the system. If all checks out, get a detailed list from the dealer on what has been done and what needs to be done.

My thoughts are that Honda modeled the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i after there civic and prelude fuel injection designs considering that quite a few of the parts from these cars can and have been successfully used on the '85 and '86 fuel injected Goldwings. The fuel injection system sensors can all be found or sensors from newer Goldwings can be used. The ECU for the FI system is a concern, but most issues that I have read about do not indicate that the ECU is rarely a problem.

Parts for these GL1200 models are not that plentiful, but I have found that there are 1500 parts and even some 1800 parts that can be used. Honda maintained continuity between these bikes, many similarities in the part numbers.

My second LTD is at my brother's place, has not been rode for over two years. I have done one survey of the bike and have found a couple of issues - starter, fuel pump, brakes, brake calipers and such. If the bike starts then my estimate is about $500.00 to make the bike safe for the road and let me ride it. As it will be my spare road bike won't be rebuilding it to the same standard as the one I ride now.

Don't shy away from the LTD just because it looks a bit rough. These bikes clean up quite nicely and in short order. There is one thread I read where the fellow buys and rides older bikes. He sets a $3,000.00 USD limit on the buy, fix and ride. Of course you will want to do your own wrenching as a lot of shops do not want to look at these older bikes - not to say they will not.

Long way round to answer your question, but in my opinion you cannot isolate a buy of one of these older bikes on one issue. The bike will require work and maintenance regardless of who you purchase one from. Lots of help here and on other forums as well.

Another aspect that you may want to consider is what do you want the bike for. Older bikes take a lot of TLC. There are newer 1500 and 1800s that may fit the bill and not require the same amount of work. A fellow on this forum keeps coming up with quite a few good bikes depending on your budget. Have an 1800 and prefer to ride the '85 instead.

Just some thoughts on these older Goldwings.

Good luck. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Further to my last, the fellow that is finding all sorts of GWs is on Classic Goldwings under the moniker D-50Dave. Here is one of his latest finds: https://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/6149651578.html

Still don't want to deter you from the '85 LTD.

Cheers

Ernest

rd1959
Motorcycle: none

Post by rd1959 »

Don't shy away from the LTD just because it looks a bit rough. These bikes clean up quite nicely and in short order. There is one thread I read where the fellow buys and rides older bikes. He sets a $3,000.00 USD limit on the buy, fix and ride. Of course you will want to do your own wrenching as a lot of shops do not want to look at these older bikes - not to say they will not.
Thanks for all the info. Yes, I will be doing the work. I'm the kind of person that when buying a used bike I will go through it with a fine tooth comb regardless if the bike runs good or not. The dealer is asking $2499 usd and I was thinking of offering $1000.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I agree with your thoughts, offer the $1,000.00 and if the dealer doesn't want to make the deal, walk away. Lot of these specific bikes showing up for sale of late and wanting a premium for them; however, these are 33 year old bikes and standing on principle only puts the bike back in your garage. The bike will require work/maintenance and parts. Add this to the dealer price and the costs add up - I have kept track of my costs for my '85 LTD and it is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

rcgreg
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Post by rcgreg »

Very True - but then, you get on it, twist the throttle, feel it launch and hear the sweet sound of that FI moving you down the road - and - well - what could beat that?