Gear oil leak

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
DoorCountyWI
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

Gear oil leak

Post by DoorCountyWI »

On my 86 Aspencade, I seem to have a small amount of gear oil seeping out from just behind the rubber boot between the engine and the final drive. It is not leaking enough to leave anything in the ground or even make a discernible change in the fluid level, but there definitely is a light film. Anyone ever have this happen? Thanks.

tbeiler
Motorcycle: 1986 Goldwing Aspencade,
1985 Goldwing LTD
1983 CX650 Turbo
wanted badly CBX 79-82

Re: Gear oil leak

Post by tbeiler »

Assume that you have already identified that oil leak is in fact gear oil and not engine oil. I had a similar experience with my 86 Aspy, when I lubed the splines in the final drive and drive shaft, I used a new driveshaft seal and filled the gear oil with marine gear lube left over from my boating days. After a few days I developed a slow leak and it dripped from boot onto muffler, not a great smell. I drained out the marine gear oil and bought the correct Honda gear oil as well as a new driveshaft seal (I thought maybe I had damaged the previous seal when I installed the driveshaft). When I removed the driveshaft the seal was in good shape so reused this one. No more leakage after that point and that was 2 years ago now.
Lesson here,
Use correct Honda gear oil and change driveshaft seal.