Starting issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
timdog
Motorcycle: 1986 honda goldwing

Starting issue

Post by timdog »

Hi all
My bike was running fine all of a sudden it would die checked the stater wires they were burned up.i fixed that and all was well. Ride to work fine came back out to go home bike wouldn't start just a click so I replaced the starter relay now when I hit the start button the light dims as it's supposed to to but that's it no click or anything I checked the starter it's good when I check the stater side of the relay and push the start button I have no voltage plz help it's warm outside and it's killing me not to ride

Thanks

timdog

Re: Starting issue

Post by timdog »

timdog wrote:Hi all
My bike was running fine all of a sudden it would die checked the stater wires they were burned up.i fixed that and all was well. Ride to work fine came back out to go home bike wouldn't start just a click so I replaced the starter relay now when I hit the start button the light dims as it's supposed to to but that's it no click or anything I checked the starter it's good when I check the starter side of the relay and push the start button I have no voltage plz help it's warm outside and it's killing me not to ride

Thanks

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by rzaugg »

Double check all of your connections, grounds, and fuses. The yellow wires from the stator really shouldn't affect starting, just charging.

First thought when I read this was "sounds like it is in gear" or at least it thinks it is. It's also possible that you got a bad relay. Don't have a schematic in front of me otherwise I could be more help.

Rick

timdog

Post by timdog »

Thanks for the info I will check all my connections any way to check if the bike thinks it's in gear the nuteral lite is on and I know it's in nuteral I've also tried two new relays

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by oldishwinger »

check for burnt wiring around the starter solenoid, its under a rubber cover to the right of the battery, and the dog bone fuse in the same place, its pays to remove the dog bone fuse to check because it can look fine at a glance.