1984 Gl1200 Fuel Filter replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
ZERGDOGG
Motorcycle: 1984 gl200 standard

1984 Gl1200 Fuel Filter replacement

Post by ZERGDOGG »

hi I wanted to share my fuel filter replacement project which was way over due.
I went with an aftermarket instead of OEM because its way cheaper.its a Carquest 86011 that I bought at Advance Auto $3.98.their computer said it was equal to NAPA 3011 and Wix 33011 which some have said is a good fit .it was a bit fiddly getting the screw out that holds the filter to the frame.stuff in the way made it hard to get to.drop a rag under the area to catch the screw when you finally tease it out,unless you have tiny hands you will probably drop it.the new filter is slightly larger than the old one but still close. I used a socket wrench socket larger than the bracket and carefully bent the bracket around it which made it fit the new filter better . I did have to use a longer screw for the bracket though.you can see lots of crap in the old filter.the clamps that came with the new filter were way to small so I had to reuse the old ones.the new filter has 2 diameters for connecting the fuel line. the first is too loose so push the fuel line in as far up as you can before tightening the clamps.I got rid of the 3 year old gas in the tank too.
Attachments