1984 interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Roweville
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

1984 interstate

Post by Roweville »

Hey, new to the forum and have some questions that I'm sure have been answered. I recently purchased a 1984 interstate with 11,000 miles, the previous owner said he has only driven it about 500 miles every year for the past 4 years. The bike seems to run smooth and doesn't have any issues. Besides the obvious tires, oil, and fluids is there things i need to look out for on these older bikes? I have read a few of the post about changing things, but i do not want to overlook anything. I plan on having this bike for a very long time. Thanks

Rowe

1984 Gl1200 Interstate

injunjoe535
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, 2003 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic, 2006 Harley Davidson Road King

Re: 1984 interstate

Post by injunjoe535 »

Your already addressing tires and fluids; I would include brake fluid to be changed unless you know its been done very recent. That dot 3/4 stuff attracts moisture from the air and since its heavier than the fluid its suspended in, it works its way to the bottom of the system......in the calipers. Water makes a mess in there. If you do the brakes, might as well do the clutch too,
Age related stuff I would consider is brake hoses. The stock rubber ones may swell under pressure, giving the brakes a spongy feeling. Also timing belts. Those with better experience than me can tell you when the best time to replace them is, but most replace them as a matter of course if they don't know when the last time they were changed. Go through the bike and check electrics / connections for corrosion. The plastic connectors can get brittle so handle them with care.
Another popular upgrade is to the stator connector. Some remove the connecter and solder the wires together.
Joe

Roweville
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate

Post by Roweville »

Thanks. I will be looking into timing belts and also wiring the connectors.
1984 Gl1200 Interstate

madmtnmotors
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing

Post by madmtnmotors »

Timing belts are cheap insurance for any "interference" engine, especially when the belts can be had for $10 apiece:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... ingdocs-20

I had found several threads listing aftermarket part numbers for the belts. I have used Gates timing belts in my automobiles with great results (i.e. no broken belts within the belt's service life). IIRC the odometer is only five digits so there's no surefire way of knowing whether you have 11,000 miles or 111,000 miles, unless the pristine condition can back up the 11,000 mile claim. Even if it only has 11,000 miles the timing belts would then likely be original, which means those rubber belts would be 33 years old. I will be starting my own "restoration" soon of an 84' GL1200A that is pretty rough and spent some time outdoors. Along with the timing belts I also plan to replace the oil seals behind the timing sprockets since I don't plan to go back into the timing cover again until it's time to replace the belts again.

Other rubber parts such as brake lines that were mentioned as well as radiator hoses, fuel lines, vacuum lines, etc... could also be 33 year old originals as well.

Congrats on finding what sounds like a well cared for example! 8-)

Wilbur

Sent from my Tandy TRS-80! :ugeek: