GL1200 Aspencade carb drain process

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

GL1200 Aspencade carb drain process

Post by SilverDave »

Is there a organized way to drain the carbs float bowls on a GL1200 Aspencade ?( while they are still on the bike )

None of my shop manuals have much to say on this process .

It looks like one has to remove the spark plug chrome covers, the carb chrome covers ( two different screw sizes ), the plastic side cover lowers, and the spark plug wires...... just to get to see the drain screws .... let alone turn them loose a bit.

Has anyone EVER done this job ?
Is there a step-by-step ?
A YouTube video ?
A "How-To" with pics and steps ?

I know you can easily do this if you remove the entire carb rack , but I was hoping for a way to do it while carbs are on the bike ..

SilverDave

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: GL1200 Aspencade carb drain process

Post by SilverDave »

Really ? No Aspy owners have ever done this ?
I hate being the first one down an unknown path.

SD

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

I have an Interstate, from the manual, they seem the same. However, I have the fairing lowers off doing some work. (timing belts, choke cable replace, shift switch repair, water pump rebuild...) Got back together enough to try to start and run, discovered I had not remembered how long it had been sitting and realized bad gas. Drained the tank, cleared lines through pump and to carbs. Needed to clear carbs of bad gas, but didn't want to remove them. Found that there was a drain screw on each carb bowl, made a couple of aluminum foil troughs to guide the gas out to a catch pan sitting on the foot peg. Was just a couple of turns of a straight blade screwdriver and the gas was flowing. Now just have to get a new fuel filter installed and start over on the starting. Hope that helps.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Post by julimike54 »

No real tricks. I used the foil trough also. Just a tedious task.

Riding anything is a good day!
Mike