Battery question, just want to make sure I'm right

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Battery question, just want to make sure I'm right

Post by coolrogue1 »

1985 GL1200 Interstate. Battery seems to run down over a period of 4-5 days. Checked voltage at battery after charging it. 12.6 volts, started bike and ran up to approx 2K rpm and voltage at battery was 14.6 to me that says charging system is working... Took battery to 2 different places to have it tested both said battery checked good. 2 of the cells were low on electrolyte so I filled them with distilled water. Question would the plates being exposed due to low electrolyte in 2 cells make the battery go down?? I still think its the battery.....

Sam

Sam

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Battery question, just want to make sure I'm right

Post by virgilmobile »

A good possibility.Fill each cell to the top line and slow charge all night.A trickle charge.No more than 800ma-1 amp.Retest.
The battery should stay up for a week.
When you get it running again...after 15 minutes above 1500 rpm...remeasure the battery volts at the posts at 3000 rpm.Expect no more than 14.4 volts.As the volts increase,the battery tends to boil and loose a significant amount of electrolyte.
There is a relay mod that can help reduce the charge volts but even with that,the electrolyte level should be checked monthly.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

Hi CR :
when the battery has been topped up and trickled and is good-to-go:

Two thoughts :
A) These little batteries are NOT forever things .... Most wingers replace them after about 5 years , just as a matter of course.

B ) You own a GL1200 ... with a crappy charging system , even if you clean all the grounds and yellow wires and connections..

Took me about 3 years of ownership to face this grim truth . You need a Battery Tender Jr, which you connect after every ride . Its also small enough to carry in your saddlebag, so its always available, even while at a campsite or on the road.

SilverDave

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Post by coolrogue1 »

]
SilverDave wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:54 pm
Hi CR :
when the battery has been topped up and trickled and is good-to-go:

Two thoughts :
A) These little batteries are NOT forever things .... Most wingers replace them after about 5 years , just as a matter of course.
Here in the desert of Arizona we're lucky if batteries last 3-4 years, I have no idea how old the battery is, I've only had the bike for 5 months, and it's a "cheapo" Walmart battery
B ) You own a GL1200 ... with a crappy charging system , even if you clean all the grounds and yellow wires and connections..
All the "mods" have been done as for as the stator wires/connector
Took me about 3 years of ownership to face this grim truth . You need a Battery Tender Jr, which you connect after every ride . Its also small enough to carry in your saddlebag, so its always available, even while at a campsite or on the road.

SilverDave getDynamicImage.aspx.jpeg

Sam