compressor switch/starter noise

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

compressor switch/starter noise

Post by walker70 »

Two questions here,I noticed today that with my bike running or with ignition turned on and I push the decrease button for the air it makes a static noise through the radio speakers,the increase button has no noise at all???,anyone had this happen to them,I think maybe the switch may be bad,now for the starter,today when I started the bike it made a heck of a racket,sounded like it was at the end where the starter meshes with the internal gear and chain,it only did it once so maybe it engaged a bit wrong for a second???,any insight will be helpful. :D

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: compressor switch/starter noise

Post by virgilmobile »

When my starter made a unusual noise,it was the internal Sprague rollers slipping.This happened a few times.A dose of sea foam and a oil change cleaned it up.
Read up on "starter slips" for more details.
By the way.A dirty switch contact can cause a bit of arcing...this would be picked up by the radio amp and sound like static.The switch can be the actual button or a relay contact.

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Re: compressor switch/starter noise

Post by walker70 »

Thanks for the reply,I'll do that with the starter,on the compressor I have a spare parts bike that I can try the switches on it to see if that will clear the static up. :D