The old girl is giving me a puff of smoke in the morning

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

The old girl is giving me a puff of smoke in the morning

Post by Mountain rider »

The Aspy is giving me a puff of smoke in the morning. I've run some MMO through the fuel system for the last couple tanks, although not in this one, and am hoping this is just the gunk working its way out. After it warms up a bit, the smoke seems to disappear. She's got just under 93,000 miles on her, so I understand wear, just hoping I don't have to re-ring her quite yet.

SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

G-Wiz
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Re: The old girl is giving me a puff of smoke in the morning

Post by G-Wiz »

Older wings will do that. Probably just bad valve seals. A compression test would confirm this. If you find low compression, add a bit of oil to the cylinder and try again. If compression rises, it is most likely rings.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I put a block of wood under the side stand when I park the bike in the garage to keep it almost level. Did this to keep oil from entering the cylinder(s) as these flat fours/boxer style engines historically will smoke when started first thing because some oil leaks into the left cylinders.

If I ride every day such as now, no smoke regardless of how parked in the evening.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

The sidestand issue is the most common, IMHO, allowing a tiny bit of oil to seep past the valve guide seals on the left cylinder bank. Is the puff out of both sides, or just the left?

If the valve guide seals are going, one way to tell is to coast down a long hill in gear (engine running, of course), then add throttle at the bottom of the hill. If it puffs then, the valve guide seals are suspect (the downhill coasting causes a lot of vacuum in the cylinders, and will suck oil past failing seals, burning it when you add throttle).

Investigating those two situations will help a lot in diagnosis.

Mountain rider

Post by Mountain rider »

Thanks guys, I'm guilty! :oops: I use the side stand almost exclusively, and yes it's mainly from the left bank. I'll have to get better at using the center stand (may have to beef up a little). I will take a look at the valve guide seals and see where that leads me, but knowing that what I'm seeing isn't out of the ordinary makes me feel a little better. Thanks again.
Now, fully retired

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty much normal behaviour in the older 4-cylinder Wings. My GL1100 did it for many years, yet it ran great. Other than the annoyance factor, it really isn't a problem.

Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Post by Ohara »

I use the centre stand almost all of the time. The trick is to make sure both feet of the stand are on the ground ( bike is balanced) And put a lot of down pressure on your right foot pushing down on the stand. Focus on stepping down on the stand as you pull up.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

I use the centre stand sparingly and mostly when doing work/maintenance because I find the 1200 is not easy to put on the centre stand. Also use the small bike jack to raise the bike then put the centre stand down. This allows me to raise the bike in place without rocking back and forth, works well in a small space. My 1800 is easier to put on the centre stand than the 1200, better balanced. That's why I just put a block of wood under the side stand especially since I ride the bike almost daily and as long as it is not raining - main means of transport.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

leakyroof58
Motorcycle: '87 Aspencade
Sold: 1975 Kawi 900 Z1, Honda 350 Scrambler

Post by leakyroof58 »

Mountain rider -
I don't know anybody who is smaller than me and
has a goldwing. I'm 5'10, 160 and have a '87 Aspy.
At first I was intimidated by the weight, but it's a
technique thing. Now, I have no problem getting
it on centerstand every time. Shut it off, put it
on sidestand, get off. Balance the bike and push
down on the centerstand pad with your HEEL until
you feel both left and right pads of the centerstand
on the ground. Push down with your heel and at
the same time pull up on the left grab-rail - you
might be surprised how easy it is.

I like keeping it on the centerstand just for things
like checking oil, warm-up, etc. It's just a technique
thing......I'm just a little guy, but I can do it....odds
are you are bigger than me........
PS - these are GREAT bikes...........

Mountain rider

Post by Mountain rider »

leakyroof58, My size compared to you is subjective, I'm 5'8" and about 205. I've got you by a few pounds, but still a little shorter by a couple inches. ;) Yeah, I've got to practice getting her on the center stand. Part of my problem is some Arthritis and a pinched Sciatic. I don't doubt I can do it, it's just a matter of getting the technique to work with me.
Now, fully retired

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh »

First on the centerstand issue. They don't need to be on the center stand. They tend to blow puffs of blue after sitting on the center stand or the side stand. It just depends on the amount of oil in the cylinders elbow the piston when you park it and if the three ring gaps are lined up and towards the bottom of the cylinder walls. If so, the pooled oil can seep into the combustion chamber enough to cause a blue fire up.

In 190lbs with two artificial hips and my center stands are hanging on the wall. If you remember to shut it down, lean it right for 3-5 seconds, the hot oil will drain back into the sump. When you side stand it, the oil will drain from the other side. I rarely have the mosquito fogger routine if I remember to do this. It could be valve seals too, but the nature of how these valves enter the ports from the side makes them less likely to leak when sitting.

A danger to parking on a 2x4 and the like is if your rear tire decides to go flat, the bike may have no choice to flop over. It has happened.

You don't describe the color of the smoke. Bluish color generally indicates an oil. If you are adding Seafoam or ATF or MMO, it could be enough to cause a slight blue color at start up. If it's white in color when hot, it could be a headgasket seal beginning to go. It could be when cold too, but often they blow whiter exhaust if cooler and higher humidity like other automobiles. If it's coolant, you'll know from the smell. It is described as a "sweet" smell. Pour a few drops on a hot exhaust pipe and you will recognize it.

soumilinon
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate

Post by soumilinon »

had a `83 that did that ,ran great,now have an `87 that does it, runs great.If one of the valves is in the open position your gonna get some oil smoke.No big deal

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow »

I have had 4 wings 84-87, including two trikes that did the same would puff upon starting especially if the weather is really cold out, I'm guessing the valve guide seals shrink just a wee bit, but when warm no problems at all.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

If the old girl is giving you a puff of smoke in the morning just try getting up and out of the house before she wakes up. Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, when you park try keeping the bike up straight when you shut it off for about half a minute while you turn things off and unstrap your helmet, etc. before you put it on the side stand. Or after a minute, upright, get off and use the center stand. Be sure to not overfill your engine oil as that will also add to the problem. I never had that problem with my 86 Aspencade but I have a little smoke on my 92 Interstate, but, that is a different engine. Same type but different quirks.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.