seat omfort

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
pumppy10
Motorcycle: 1985 goldwing interstate

seat omfort

Post by pumppy10 »

Hi all, new to goldwings but not bikes in general. I bought a 85 interstate recently and had some running issues to work out but now have it ready for a nice long ride. My issue is the god awful seat comfort. it feels like i am always scotching my pants back down a little because the bike is trying to give me an ever lasting wedgie. I am 5' 10" so it not like i am tall. i have the seat moved back as far as the bolts will allow. Seems a little better when i use the highway pegs mounted on the engine guard. It is almost like i am to close to the fuel tank. Can it cut some of the padding out of it? What are your ideas. I like the "road sofa" seat i saw advertised but it caries a pretty hefty price tag with it. I don't mind spending the money if i will get a nice long distance ride out of it.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Re: seat omfort

Post by geraldm »

Sure you can operate on your seat , dont take too much foam off at a time but if you do just use contact cement and add some back in places , the density of the foam makes a big difference . the plastic seat pan is very easy to re staple to . dont stretch to tight when putting cover back on if you do the cover being old may tear on the imitation stitching and also makes it to firm . I know what ya mean the stock seat seems to have a tendency to make you slide ahead . when you put the cover back on put the plastic back or you will have a wet ass for days after it rains .have fun good luck

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

if you do open the seat to remove some foam here and there, sneak the electric kitchen carving knife . best thing i have found for trimīng foam

jtmcnees
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate.

Post by jtmcnees »

I'm 6'4" I also have this problem. My seat needs reupholstering anyway so I might have the shop modify it for me.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Post by SilverDave »

As long as you are hacking and carving foam... go get a seat gel pad .. one from a bicycle shop will do.....,
and bury it just under the last ( thinest layer) of foam .
I had one installed about 15 years ago by a seat upholstery guy... and its still very comfy .
As I recall, he reversed the seat gel pad , he said , to put more gel under the bony parts of my tush ... He had done this before .
If you are the designer, you may have to go on several short rides with the gel pad covered with a light towel, to find your own "sweet spot ".

Ride Safe
SilverDave

pumppy10

Post by pumppy10 »

Well i pulled the trigger and got the saddleman road sofa seat. Was pretty pricey at $448.00 but i figured since i wanted something that would give me the ride comfort and would last it was worth a shot. After i opened the box i was really liking the looks of it. Installed in about 1/2 hour, had to remove the top luggage box to get it to fit under it and then reinstalled the box. The first time i sat on it the feel was pretty close to what the stock seat as far a firmness. I did notice i sat back further even when put back in the same location as stock. ( i use the middle hole in bracket for mounting). Since it seemed as firm as stock i was a little concerned the ride would be like the stock but with the narrower front end and more dish in butt area it did feel better. Went out for the first ride and man what a difference. Ended up riding for over 2 hours with out even realizing how long i was out. No more being pushed into the tank feeling, really comfortable to be on. I am guessing that in time it will break in even more and just get better. Money well spent in my eyes.

jtmcnees
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate.

Post by jtmcnees »

Can you provide a link?

pumppy10

Post by pumppy10 »

got it on ebay from dennis kirk