Adding OEM radio to "radio-less" Gl1200I

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Cruss127
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A Aspencade

Adding OEM radio to "radio-less" Gl1200I

Post by Cruss127 »

Hey all, first post on the forum but have been using this forum for a few months for instructions. My question is, how difficult would it be to add an oem radio to a 1985 Gl1200I that doesnt have one. I know anythings possible with customization...but do you think its possible, and how difficult.
Thanks all,
Cam

coolrogue1
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

Re: Adding OEM radio to "radio-less" Gl1200I

Post by coolrogue1 »

Of course it's possible, the first thing you have to do is find all the parts to the radio "system" that means the mounting brackets, the power supply/amplifier, the wiring harness, the "control unit" which includes the cassette player, etc.... Here's a link to Ebay that has most of the parts to the system https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=19 ... wing+radio

I just went to "wingstuff.com" and ordered this http://wingstuff.com/products/36980-rad ... ccessories It lets you mount a "modern" radio/CD player in place of the OEM unit.

Sam
Sam

wiretician
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I
1993 GL1500SE (gone, but not forgotten)

Post by wiretician »

Just a heads up on the aftermarket. When I got my Interstate, it had already had the OEM radio removed, and an Audiovox AM/FM Cassette installed. Which went out shortly after I got it. But no problem, I had an old Pioneer the the radio worked, but not the cassette. Still had music. Pioneer went out a year later. Decided to upgrade to CD. bought a good AM/FM CD player and was getting ready to install (had a different adapter than one coolrogue1 suggested). But the CD units are physically longer than the automotive cassette players. The unit hits the interior of the fairing behind the head light. It will require some adaptation, about a 2 - 3" adapter plate to accommodate the longer unit. However, you can get a unit that can plug in MP3s, flash drives, or even smart phones to run music through, as well as have AM/FM, and the unit is actually shorter than the cassette players. Preliminary fitting, finds that the shorter unit fits nicely. I've gotten all the stuff to do my conversion, soon. Have a good bit of maintenance to do before getting to tunes (tires, wheel bearing, running...). Was even thinking of taking pictures and sharing on forum on my conversion. By the way the adapter that wingstuff has is the same one I found on eBay for (Metra 99-2020 Radio Installation Dash Kit For 1988-1994 Buick Regal Vehicles) for less than $15.00 usd. It is just repackaged for Add-on Accessories. Got to save as much as I can, where I can. I've also gotten a marine cover to shield from weather. Hope that helps you.
Experience in the Maintenance Field: Nothing is "Foolproof" to the Talented Fool. There are some that would break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Cruss127
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A Aspencade

Post by Cruss127 »

Dang you guys are great. Im in the middle of ordering the parts right now. Will keep everyone updateddd