Back on the bike!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
halfjacket1234
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I

Back on the bike!

Post by halfjacket1234 »

Well, its been nearly 4 years since I started my GL1200. I went off to the oilfield and now I am back, so I put new battery in and some new gas along with some Seafoam in the tank and after a few cranks she started right up. I put the entire can of Seafoam in to clean the carbs up and she is smoking like a pig, but its just the seafoam burning through. I will eventually put new spark plugs in after the seafoam is gone. Oil change is coming soon (possibly tomorrow as I am off for the 4th). I started cleaning the rust from all the chrome pieces, but since I am from South Texas there is a lot of rust. Ugh.

1. My Choke seems to not be working. I guess they are frozen on each carb. This will prove problematic for the colder months (notice how I do not say winter, as we don't get one here). Is there a way to unfreeze the chokes with out removing the carbs? I want my carbs professionally rebuild and tuned but I want to ride as much as I can before the temp drops.

2. I have been reading the forum on here for years but never have posted. So if this has been discussed in length I apologize a head of time. I have read about the volts going to the battery. I installed a new cheaper battery that I got from "Batteries plus bulbs." With my harbor freight multi-meter I am reading between 12.8v and 13.03 at idle (with the fan on). I am headed to buy an inline volt meter for hopefully a more accurate reading, but is this a sign I should be getting ready for the $600 alternator kit? Btw, I took the readings at the battery posts.

I look forward to hearing all of your guys wisdom as I hope to keep riding this wing for many years to come.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Back on the bike!

Post by WingAdmin »

halfjacket1234 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:32 am
Well, its been nearly 4 years since I started my GL1200. I went off to the oilfield and now I am back, so I put new battery in and some new gas along with some Seafoam in the tank and after a few cranks she started right up. I put the entire can of Seafoam in to clean the carbs up and she is smoking like a pig, but its just the seafoam burning through. I will eventually put new spark plugs in after the seafoam is gone. Oil change is coming soon (possibly tomorrow as I am off for the 4th). I started cleaning the rust from all the chrome pieces, but since I am from South Texas there is a lot of rust. Ugh.

1. My Choke seems to not be working. I guess they are frozen on each carb. This will prove problematic for the colder months (notice how I do not say winter, as we don't get one here). Is there a way to unfreeze the chokes with out removing the carbs? I want my carbs professionally rebuild and tuned but I want to ride as much as I can before the temp drops.

2. I have been reading the forum on here for years but never have posted. So if this has been discussed in length I apologize a head of time. I have read about the volts going to the battery. I installed a new cheaper battery that I got from "Batteries plus bulbs." With my harbor freight multi-meter I am reading between 12.8v and 13.03 at idle (with the fan on). I am headed to buy an inline volt meter for hopefully a more accurate reading, but is this a sign I should be getting ready for the $600 alternator kit? Btw, I took the readings at the battery posts.

I look forward to hearing all of your guys wisdom as I hope to keep riding this wing for many years to come.
More likely it's the choke CABLE that is frozen, not the chokes themselves. All it takes is a little moisture to start oxidation in those cables, and once that starts, if it isn't being used regularly, you can forget about it.

I didn't know that ANYTHING was available cheap at "Batteries plus bulbs" - One opened here a while back, I went through it once just to see what they had, and the prices were pretty much double what I knew I could buy stuff for elsewhere! :)

In any case, ~13 volts at idle is fairly decent. If you hold it up at 3,000 RPM for 30 seconds and measure it (while still at 3,000 RPM) what voltage do you get?

halfjacket1234
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I

Re: Back on the bike!

Post by halfjacket1234 »

1- The coke lever on the handle bar moves freely and I get a "little" choke if I shove the lever at the end. I will start with the cable as this will probably be a lot easier than removing carbs and checking the chokes

2-hahahaha Battery Plus seems to be fairly priced to me. I bought my first wing battery at Walmart 4 years ago (right before I parked the bike in storage) and it was $89. I bought this new battery 3 days ago for $59 with 10% off with a 6 month warranty that they keep on file so I don't have to worry losing the receipt.

3-Ok I am getting off work now and I will go home and check voltage at 3000 rpms for 30 seconds and see what I get. Its worth mentioning that I have not had any previous issues with charging (and I do not now, I am just taking precautious measures so I don't get stranded). I do not run any accessories so I can keep my stator operating in decent parameters, Although I would like to add a cigarette lights to charge my phone when I ride.