Ignition control module

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Ignition control module

Post by jwebfournow »

Hi all! Been working on this 84 aspy finally have the 1/2 cylinder problem worked out, turns out to be the coil, running into another problem with the ignition control module, getting real hot. Smoked 1 already had another, put that in that one gets hot to the point you can smell, it cuts out let and stalls,let it cool it will fire again, the original took a dump and runs only 2 cylinders. tested with a electronic temp gun shows about 140 degrees, trying to figure out what is causing this, I replaced the coils with ones from a gl1100? or could have been gl1000's picked up from a friend probably 1100's, bigger diameter coils also had the ceramic resistor on them which I did not use. Guess my question is could it be the coils? I have enclosed a picture of the inside of the control module were the over heating occurs. In the picture I get around 12v right at the terminals that you see. Alsi you can see where the melting is occurring, the original box was the black one, replaced with a blue label,also have a green label one that is totally differnet on the inside but does work, I don't want to fry either good one I have left., picture is of the blue label 2nd one.
Attachments

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Ignition control module

Post by julimike54 »

Coils from 1000 and 1100 are not the same as the 1200. I've read of people replacing the 1200 coils with 1500 coils. Don't know if that's the problem or not but I'd search for coil replacement threads.
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Re: Ignition control module

Post by jwebfournow »

Turns out the coils from the early models don't work for the 84
87 put an original 84 in and no more over heating of control module. It would be nice too know why? Maybe to much or too little resistance my guess.😂