Starter Solenoid

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
MrMyers
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A

Starter Solenoid

Post by MrMyers »

I have a 1986 GL1200A. I've had is about three months and its my first bike. I'm looking for a new starter solenoid. I've found some cheap ($5-$15) ones on ebay and amazon, but I wanna know if a cheap one is worth getting or should I try and find an OEM one? I wanna get one that will last and not go bad on me anytime soon as my car stopped working (i think the fuel pump is bad) and now my project bike is my sole form of transportation.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Starter Solenoid

Post by oldishwinger »

MrMyers wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am
I have a 1986 GL1200A. I've had is about three months and its my first bike. I'm looking for a new starter solenoid. I've found some cheap ($5-$15) ones on ebay and amazon, but I wanna know if a cheap one is worth getting or should I try and find an OEM one? I wanna get one that will last and not go bad on me anytime soon as my car stopped working (i think the fuel pump is bad) and now my project bike is my sole form of transportation.
I brought one a couple of years ago, off ebay (its the one with the blade fuse attached) and installed it on a 84 1200 standard so far its worked just fine. the only thing is they are a bit small in size and dont fit as well as OEM in the rubber holder. apart from that, no worries.

MrMyers
Motorcycle: 1986 Gl1200A

Post by MrMyers »

Okay thank you. Good to know!

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

seems that most times when there is solenoid problems its caused from to much power draw ,, like big wattage lights or to many of them ,.. I also bought an 8.00 one and decided to buy 2 because of the low price , put the spare one in my saddle bag just in case the one I installed failed , still in the pouch . buy 2 then you have a back up .

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

geraldm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm
seems that most times when there is solenoid problems its caused from to much power draw ,, like big wattage lights or to many of them ,.. I also bought an 8.00 one and decided to buy 2 because of the low price , put the spare one in my saddle bag just in case the one I installed failed , still in the pouch . buy 2 then you have a back up .
That's a nice theory, except that it's wrong - the only power that goes through the solenoid is what powers the starter. When the starter isn't running, there is no power going through the solenoid.

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow »

I have used the inexpensive ones have worked for me, only thing I can say about them is where you plug the harness into, if I remember correctly you have to clip off the lock tab on the connector on the wiring harness before it will plug in, also just remembered the starter and battery cable ends have to be fiddled with if the cables have the bent flat edge on one side of the cable to get a nice flat connection on terminal studs.

geraldm
Motorcycle: 86 gl1200 Aspencade

Post by geraldm »

WingAdmin wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:34 pm
geraldm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm
That's a nice theory, except that it's wrong - the only power that goes through the solenoid is what powers the starter. When the starter isn't running, there is no power going through the solenoid.
My bad , should have finished my story.. On my 86 there was a wire added to the hot side and that wire went to 2 100 watt running lights , the wire was light and overheated and burned up that side of the solenoid . Wiring was hard and bare when i bought the bike . didn't seem to hurt the charging system just lucky i guess . removed the hundred watt lights , went led and no problems .

leakyroof58
Motorcycle: '87 Aspencade
Sold: 1975 Kawi 900 Z1, Honda 350 Scrambler

Post by leakyroof58 »

Just my .02, $.002 adjusted for inflation...

Don't let the word 'solenoid' throw you. It's
a relay, plain and simple. I can remember my
dad having to replace the starter 'relay' on a
car. Same thing. It has 2 small wires used to
energize a coil which pulls in contacts to
connect the starter directly to the battery.
I think the word 'solenoid' was coined to bilk
more money out of consumers pockets - make
it seem more mysterious and you can charge more
for it. Next time I think I need a new 'solenoid',
I'm going to put in one from about any '80s-90s
series Ford pickup, as long as I have the room.
The secondary contacts will never be overloaded
on my 'wing, since they are designed to pass enough
current to start V8 460's in the winter. As long as the
wiring can handle the coil current needs, good-to-go.

The fact that your previous owner connected the
100W lights to the 'solenoid' just means it was the
most handy place to get the power. Maybe he didn't
want to pull off more covers, etc.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Calling the starter relays on our bikes a "solenoid" is incorrect.

On cars, airplanes, and other engines that have a starter that engages the toothed ring on the flywheel to crank the engine, solenoid is the correct term.

Technically, a solenoid is a winding surrounding a movable shaft. When the winding is energized, it turns into an electromagnet and the shaft moves. It has nothing whatsoever to do with starter motors. It is used as an actuator for thinks like car door locks.

Solenoid
Solenoid

In cars, the starter motor integrates a solenoid. When you turn the key in your car, the solenoid actuates. Attached to the movable shaft is a small gear. As the solenoid shaft is thrust out from the electromagnet, the small gear engages the ring gear on the flywheel. Also attached to this shaft is a set of contacts. Once the shaft is fully extended (meaning the gear is fully engaged with the flywheel), the contacts close, which energizes an electric motor. This electric motor turns the small gear, which turns the flywheel, which cranks the engine.

Once the engine starts, the small gear is spun faster than the starter motor is turning, and a spiral mechanism called a bendix retracts the gear.

There are differences in the ways different starters work, but essentially that's how they function.

Automotive starter motor
Automotive starter motor

In our bikes, the starter motor is permanently engaged, and connects to the engine via a one-way sprag clutch. No solenoid is used to engage/disengage the starter, and what is commonly called the "solenoid" in our bikes (because that's what car people are used to calling it) is in fact just a heavy-duty relay.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Since this is an older bike you might consider taking it to local auto parts store and have them put a starter draw ammeter on it. When starter brushes begin to wear out the starters often draw way more power than they should, and burn out relay contacts.....

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark