starting issues

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
fred1diver
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

starting issues

Post by fred1diver »

hey everyone, I have a problem with my new to me 84 GL1200, it hasn't ran in over 4 years, so I cleaned the carburetors as well as I can, but now it starts but dies soon after, one time it kept running but as soon as it got hot the rpm's went from idle to 3000 all without touching the throttle.
another problem I have is that I can't operate the throttle, as soon as I try and give it gas it dies on me, do I need to recelant the carbs or could it be something else?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: starting issues

Post by Rednaxs60 »

If you have an '84 Aspencade it is not a limited edition. The only 1200 limited edition is the '85 1200 anniversary bike.

Do you have the service manual, will help a lot. Carbs if not done completely and to spec will give you no end of grief. There are also the PG sensors that I believe are on the rear of the engine of the '84 models. You need to check the resistance of these as well.

PM sent.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

If it has been sitting for 4 years I'd definitely be looking at the carbs. What is the condition of the fuel tank? After 4 years, whatever fuel was in there is most certainly nasty if you haven't drained it and refilled.

With fresh fuel in the tank, I'd add a full can of SeaFoam and run the engine so that the SeaFoam is in the carbs. Maybe after a couple days with the solvent in the carb bowls might dissolve enough fuel varnish that it might run half-way reasonable.

Running good requires correct compression, correct fuel and correct spark. Doubtful that sitting four years would affect compression or spark, so if the SeaFoam doesn't help you will probably have to disassemble the carburetors again and do a deeper cleaning....
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

If you are doing your own wrenching, a fellow - McGovern - over on Classic Goldwings picked up an inexpensive 3 litre ultrasonic cleaner and used it on the carbs. From his pictures it did a great job. After I saw the results, put the feeler out to my siblings and they're buying me one for my birthday. It has a lot of other uses such as brake caliper and MC cleaning as well.

Something to consider.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

jwebfournow
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade, 1986 sei trike

Post by jwebfournow »

I have cleaned a lot of carbs on various bikes, done quite a few wings also. For me 99 % of the time the pilot jets are clogged I soak the mains,and pilots in Berryman's for a minimum of 24 hrs then for the pilots I go back in with a wire from a barbque grill brush or order a set of jet cleaning wires, then blow out with aresol carb cleaner then blow out with air compressor, use magnifying glass to inspect all holes of the jets, it is tedious work but well worth it. Also pull the idle air mixture scews out make sure you get the tiny little flat washers out with along the tiny orings in there and I mean they are tiny, blow out all holes in the carb body as you can. If you want to take it further you can disassemble the complete rack its a lot of work take a lot of pictures as you go or have a really good manual to work from there are a lot of parts, it can be very intimidating the first time around. It doesn't take much to plug a pilot jet which will affect your idle and first 1/4 throttle, does it run if you choke it and then try to accelerate it?

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver »

it's finally starting to seem to want to take some throttle, I filled the tank with sea foam and drained the carb bowls then ran the motor to fill them with the sea foam and let it soak for a day or so, gonna do that for a few times to try and get them cleaned up, hopefully it'll help

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver »

ok so I wasn't going anywhere fast with the seafoam, so I pulled the carbs off again today, one of the float valve was not attached to the float (weird because I remember placing it on the float's tab) and cleaned a lot of gunk out of the bowl, so the seafoam did a bit of work and I did the rest lol, tomorrow I'll be re-installing the carbs, installing a new battery and hope it will work. :shock:

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver »

well I tried, and failed, back to the drawing board, I'll give it a another try tomorrow ( I might have flooded her by accident) if it doesn't work I'll have to pul the carbs again :oops:

fred1diver

Post by fred1diver »

ok, so I had to pull the carbs again, when rebuilding them I nicked a gasket and fuel was leaking, now that the gasket has been replaced and the carbs re-installed, it does the exact same thing, starts up for a moment then chokes and dies, can it still be that the carbs aren't clean enough or should I look at the fuel pump???